God and the Devil

The Bible is an odd book its half history, half metaphors.

I agree with the notion that fundamentally, primary reality is permanent “changing” in the abstract, and any change of properties requires a relative distinction to the state before. Yin yang kind of deal. This extends to our emotions and morality. We conceptualize our emotions in relative terms - across a scale.

Noah likely never existed, but the story of Noah teaches us an important lessons about life and faith.

Does God have free will? Do we have free will in heaven? Would you give an 8 year old keys to a tank, just because they have free will? Would you release venomous snakes into a crowd knowing they have free will to bite?

But yet He apparently saves people and does some free will nudging here and there.

1 Like

Plenty of metaphors in movies too. But nobody prays to Gandolf or Jon Snow :wink:

That is more humanity trying to explain the un-explainable.

People use to pray to a dude who lived on a Mountain and had sex with goats.

1 Like

Some things are unexplainable because they simply make no sense

Who gets to decide which part of the Bible is literal and which part is fable? Why would God do such a bad job of editing his book?

Ahh good belly laugh

Because we lack the ability to make sense of them 10,000 years ago did we understand what Lighting was? or why snow fell from the skies?

That depend on what type of Christian you are.

Nope. We came up with fictitious personifications of natural processes - Zeus for example. If you’re point is that Gods are used to fill in our gaps of scientific understanding I agree. I just dont like doing that because it serves no other purpose than to avoid saying “I dont know”.

It gives the skinny intellectual guy a chance to survive by telling people only He can talk to God.

The unknown is scary, hence why we make stories we use those stories to teach morality so our children we grow up to be good.

if we knew everything the world would be perfect, people would be perfect.
no one would be scared to die.

Wouldn’t it be great if there were only some Giant Invisible Man In The Sky who could make it so for us?

Right. But that doesnt “explain” the unexplainable. It just substitutes reality for an imaginary tale of something that doesnt exist. Plus. I dont think we need fairy tales to explain morality to children. My dog has morals, I’ve never made her watch muppet babies.

I’m not scared of death, I just like living right now. Kind of like, I’m not scared to run 30 miles, it’s just really nice not running. I’ve already died a trillion times

It would be.

but who am I to tell something their faith is wrong, I don’t hold the secret of life to dispute it.