God and Suffering

The Talmud says Uzzah did enter Paradise.

David knew the ark was not to be carried by oxen, but on the shoulders of eight men. Yet he ordered oxen. Uzzah, a very holy man, knew the stories of the ark being able to save itself (once from a river). His loss of faith in the powers of the ark killed him. He never would have been in that position in the first place had David ordered proper transport for the ark instead of oxen.

Of course, me being me, I can’t help but another possibility. My grandmother, being a nurse, noted that she did not fall and break her hip. Rather, her hip cracked (broke) and she fell. Could Uzzah have had a stroke or heart attack, and as he fell, touched the Ark? Did Uzzah die and touch the Ark, or did Uzzah touch the Ark and die?

Yes. And God shut the door of the ark.

The writer of Hebrews tells us who believers are in the presence of now. Not lonely now. Never alone.

Hebrews 12:22 “But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable angels in festal gathering, 23 and to the assembly of the first-born who are enrolled in heaven, and to a judge who is God of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, 24 and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks more graciously than the blood of Abel.”

It’s all part of the experience.

Not according to the Judeo-Christian revelation.

People can think, and some think depressing thoughts. Does that mean giving people minds must be malevolent?

If your conception of reality is that everything ends for you at your own physical death, you will have an exaggerated fear of suffering.

Nonsense. Suffering is a lesson like pretty much everything else in life. Without suffering, how would we know bliss?

One would think though that a God that can do anything, knows everything, and is everywhere wouldn’t choose to just let something it loves keep suffering just because it can. That is malevolence. It’s no different then seeing you were in a car accident, probably injured, and instead of calling an ambulance, chosing to simply drive away. Where is the compassion?

We tend to make our own suffering and cause suffering in others by the decisions we make. Easier to blame that then blame a mythical being acting self contradictory, imo.

To certain interpretations. I’m not into organized religion. It’s the relationship that matters.

2 Likes

I’m curious to know where scripture says that God is everything.

Does anyone here believe that God chooses to just let something He loves keep suffering just because He can? Is that not a straw man?

Couldn’t He stop it if He wanted to?

[quote=“AZslim, post:51, topic:238884, full:true”]

I was objecting to the use of the clause “just because He can.” That is ascribing a motive to God that no believer has ascribed to God.

In answer to your question. Yes he could stop it if he wanted to. But it is also true that He may see it as better for his creatures that He not stop it yet, despite His wanting to.

Oh so God is only capable of having motives his believers ascribe to him them? That tracks. :roll_eyes:

1 Cor 15:28 “When all things are subjected to him, then the Son himself will also be subjected to him who put all things under him, that God may be everything to every one.

[quote=“Paul_Thomson, post:52, topic:238884, full:true”]

I’ve seen believers here claim that we must suffer on Earth in order to know what a true paradise heaven is. It seems to be a common belief as to why God allows it.

That is why I asked if there was a specific passage in the bible that talks about it.

You keep saying that.

It’s your own fabrication.

Looks like a quote was already provided, but the Good News is, I have a direct connection to the Self just like everyone else does. Ancient text that has been misinterpreted over the course of multiple languages and millennia is unnecessary in understanding that the Father and I are One.

25For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.

26The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

27For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.

28And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Your interpretation of that verse is problematic when the verse is read In context.

Apparently, by your interpretation, everything except God is to be put under Christ by God, and yet the “everything except God” is God.

What? I didn’t give an interpretation. I quoted the passage from the RVS.

This is a commentary of 1 Cor 15:25-28.

1. Messiah is destined to rule until he has put all his enemies under his feet.

2. The last enemy which will be destroyed is death.

3. As Scripture says, “He put everything under his feet.” Of course when it says “everything” is put under him it is obvious that this does not refer to God who placed everything under Messiah’s authority."

4. When everything has been placed under Messiah’s authority, then the Son will also be subjected to God’s authority, so that the one God who gave the Son authority over everything may be all in all. All in all = everything.

So, your commentary says that obviously “[everything] does not refer to God”, and yet you say everything is God. As I said, your interpretation is problematic.

At the moment there are two kings and kingdoms occupying territory within the same creatures, God and His kingdom and the devil and his kingdom. When the heavens and the earth are purged with fire, only God and His kingdom will remain in the new heavens and earth. At present God is Lord of some of what is in some and evil is lord of some of what is in some. After the purge God will be the only one ruling and occupying all the space in all creatures in the new cosmos. He will be all in all, not some in all.