Global warming is real

But it is true. Clever people have absolutely no idea what objects flew by, how close they flew, or how often. The only objects they know about are those that come by on a regular schedule (like some comets) or which they observed directly. A fly-by leaves no evidence other than an effect on the orbit, which also leaves no trace of its change other than a possible change in climate. You are drawing the conclusion that NEOs have not changed the orbit of Earth in the past based on a lack of evidence, when basic logic tells us that a lack of evidence is not proof that something did not occur.

You get the same answer that you gave me … read the thread.

If the object orbits around the sun and passes through Earths orbital plane on both passes, it will not be the same distance from Earth both coming and going. I assume that you know that the gravitational attraction between two masses is related to the distance between them.

I don’t know the names of any of them. What does their name (if they have been named) matter?

Can planetoids have such highly elliptical orbits? To have a period of 100,000 years would put its major axis well beyond anything we have ever seen in our solar system. And then it’s minor axis would be 1 AU.

Possible? Maybe.

Just to be clear, you’re admitting the evidence for this is zero and that all observable evidence, the thousands of astronomers over hundreds of years, has failed to show dwarf planets crossing into our orbit.

Everything is named in astronomy. It may my be a pretty name but they’re named and catalogued.

I just want to look them up and research the issue.

Yes. That was not the other posters point. What is your point?

I’ve reread the thread. Just for you. You’re wrong. Nothing of the sort has been posted.

No … there is plenty of evidence for it. There are many large extraterrestrial bodies that roam about in our solar system, and there have been more and more being discovered by astronomers in recent years. Astronomy as a developed science is mere hundreds of years old, and precision instruments capable of detecting distance masses have been around less than 100 years. What there is no evidence for, is those objects that may have flown near by Earth which were capable of changing our orbit that occurred before man walked this planet and/or which were not detected by man because he didn’t see them. But probability says that thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands, even millions, of such “near encounters” have occurred over the millennia and could easily still be happening. Just because we haven’t seen one in the last couple of centuries does not mean they aren’t happening. Everything does not hinge on the human life span.

If you want to know their names, look them up. I don’t care.

I just told you. The gravitation effect on Earth would be different on each pass of the object as it comes and goes to and from its perigee.

Yes it has … read it again.

I’m not wasting more time on wild goose chases. I’ve read through twice. You posted one NY Times piece which says nothing of the sort. Wildrose posted a link to a medium size comet which passes through, not a plantoid. Wildrose also posted a link to a list of exoplanets for some reason.

If you want to make things up, be my guest. Expect to be called out on it.

Yes it would. It would almost certainly only have a meaningful interaction in one of those passes (if it has one at all). And the effect would not lead to any sort of bias in terms of interaction.

I’d love to look them up if they exist.

But I don’t think they exist.

You agree with me. There is no evidence for this idea.

Near encounters happen frequently yes. But none of them are going to have any substantial gravitational effect on our orbit.

They’re too small, too far away, and pass by too quickly.

Any object it passes close enough to have a gravitational interaction with is going to affect it’s speed and trajectory to some degree.

The speed certainly isn’t a constant as it both accelerates and decelerates.

How much effect the two objects have on each other will be dependent on their size, density, , angle and direction of approach, how close they come to one another and duration of their interactions.

And as I’ve already shown some of those objects that roam around occasionally passing through our solar system and/or are associated with it on very long orbital paths are massive. We’re only just now starting to learn about them and it will be centuries or millennia before we have an idea of just how many there are, how large they are, and how long their orbital periods are.

Yes. I know all this. You haven’t contradicted or added to anything I just said.