Glad to see the Bald Eagles around the country have/are having a good year

At least alligator populations are self regulating.

:smile:

1 Like

I know right? It isn’t like you can chase it out with broom. Fer craps sake they come through your screen enclosures. That and our falling Iguanas when it gets cold :rofl:

1 Like

Cabinet doors ripped off, fridge tipped over, drywall shredded, furniture busted up and strewn about, cat stuck to the ceiling. Disaster!!

1 Like

They’re pretty nasty critters. Just bought some property on a waterway. We have gators that come through (manatees and saw a couple of 3’ black tip sharks the other day).

We have a 17 lb old fart rescue and a new puppy so are going to BOLO for gators, eagles AND owls.

Gators will sit and wait and can move very fast. :grimacing:

1 Like

LOL, in that one the gator was stalking the cat. The cat was on top of the refrigerator. The homeowner found the gator when she got out of the shower.

Jeebus! Helluva surprise!

1 Like

Right?

(((DMK checks Homeowner Policy)))

:rofl:

And if you think you are safe from gators where it freezes, think again.

Damn smart things have learned to stick their snouts up when the ice freezes, so they can breath and hibernate in winter.

Thankfully, they don’t come to western North Carolina, but they do inhabit areas on the Atlantic Coastal Plain.

1 Like

Gators and bald eagles are becoming a thing again on the Colorado River between Austin and Bastrop. people say the gators are released pets but I’m not convinced. Both seem to be choosing the easy life, hanging out near the boat landings and fishing spots.

I’m glad to see they’re making a rebound.

They’re beautiful animals.

I’m not sure if I saw one near me or a similar osprey. The bird was high up and has a nest on a distant phone pole.

The male eagle went missing from this nest some days ago. With only the female eagle and thus a limited food supply, the older chick attacked the younger chick and pushed it out of the nest. It is a natural raptor response to food shortages and ensures the older chick will have a better chance of survival by not having to share limited food.

But it drives home the point that sometimes you will see the brutal side of nature on these cameras.

1 Like

Osprey are far more likely to nest in a pole whereas eagles definitely prefer trees.

On the North Ft Myers eagle cam one of the adults once brought home a cat to feed the eaglets. Some kids were upset of course, but that’s nature. It all blew over pretty quickly.

The head and shoulders of a cat. :smile: I saw that last year.:smile:

I would note that the cat was likely road kill and the eagle scavenged the head. Extremely unlikely the eagle killed a cat, though it is not entirely out of the question.

2 Likes

That’s not true. Bald Eagles weren’t even endangered in Alaska and British Columbia.

1 Like

I am posting this because it represents a very nice turn around from the tragedies that happened the last couple of years at this nest.

Last year, the parents got their signals crossed and the female left the nest evidently expecting the male to cover it, which did not happen. While it was unguarded, ravens got in and destroyed all three eggs. Ravens also got all eggs in separate incidents in 2020.

So it is very good to see 3 subadults that are not too far away from fledging.

1 Like