Get them in and then get them on welfare. What other country does this?

The only one displaying arrogance is you.

You’re not inscrutable.

You’re an open book.

Every one of them that were making decent money shouldn’t be on it, they should have purchased disability insurance instead. We shouldn’t give it to anyone that was making over a hundred thousand, they can afford insurance. And it isn’t technically fraud if you get on it because you have a history of not being able to hold a job.

If you’re working for a company where you can get good disability coverage, trust me you are going to take it rather than go on the government dole.

But this wasn’t what was stated.

What was implied is that everyone…or a majority of them…on disability is a lazy good for nothing sponge.

So I want to see if the poster who implied this did any actual legwork or is just sharing his feelings.

No idea what you mean, your job doesn’t have to offer disability insurance for you to buy it. So anyone who was making enough to afford that who ends up on welfare are just that. Socialized their risk instead of taking care of themselves.

Last I checked “mental illness” is now the leading cause of disability in the US. I’m sure no one fakes being “mentally ill” to get a free check.

Good companies subsidize the hell out of disability insurance…you’re paying pennies on the dollar.

Buying it yourself, like trying to buy health insurance, is extremely costly.

Are you grasping the great chasm that has developed in this country over the past 40 years?

There’s a big hole between working at WalMart and having a really good upper middle class job (little bit of an exaggeration but close enough for jazz).

But I didn’t blame Walmart workers did I? I blamed people making a hundred grand or more.

The median adjusted income for people on public disability is somewhere between $13-$16k.

How many people making a hundred grand and on the public dole do you think there are?

I mean seriously…we can make up any scenario we want, but we might want to ground such scenarios in reality.

I didn’t say making a 100k while on disability, I said before they were on it. Typical annual cost is between one and four percent of your salary. And if you think that is too much, look at what you get if you are on government disability that you just posted.

No…this is the median adjusted income of people BEFORE they went on public disability.

Ahh, well, I wasn’t criticizing the median. What I said was, individuals making a 100k or more before should be means tested out.

I know but you don’t overhaul something because of something that happens at the margins.

This is a typical ploy of people when they attack government benefits programs in an effort to weaken them, overhaul them, or try and get them killed.

They find something that’s happening on the margins and use it to descry the entire program.

1 Like

Except I did no such thing.

You did.

You complained about something that rarely happens.

In response to a post I made where I asked a poster to detail this intel that he had that the program is rife with people who don’t want to work because they’re lazy.

Not to attack the entire program I didn’t, my criticism was aimed at one segment of it. And here I thought I was being fairly generous with a 100k cut off.