Georgia shutting down 7 of 9 polling station in a black majority county

Even the privately owned ones?

What I still don’t get though is if this is a majority black county and it is, 61.8% black as of the 2010 census and if the polling locations are controlled by elected county officials, which they are, how is it that racists that don’t want blacks to vote are in control of county government?

We use the garages of private residences here in the rural regions of San Diego.

Then who are the election officials who made that decision? Is it beyond possibility that the reasons they gave are the reasons they (mistakenly) took that action? It seems sort of pathetic to “analyze” who they might be without the journalist just finding out.

Closing down 7/9 because they aren’t ADA compliant? Horse crap. What about all the years prior? It’s a federal law that all places need to be ADA compliant. I’ve work at polling places since 2002 and ALL have been ADA compliant. It’s plain voter suppression. Georgia has a real viable candidate for Governor now and these crap heads will do anything to suppress the vote.

1 Like

If the story is true it would not surprise me.

Time for another voting rights act lawsuit?

They’re probably aren’t any churches in those areas with handicap ramps.

:wink:

Yeah, pretty much anyone with a brain knows what the Republican party is doing in a lot of these states. That’s why it was so critical that they took over control of those states. That way they can shut down Sunday voting and move voting places off college campuses and shorten early voting and all that crap. They’re just trying to get their numbers right.

Cheaters.

1 Like

The state of Georgia didn’t do anything - the county did.

Stuff like that coupled with voter ID makes it difficult to take them seriously.

2 Likes

So let’s get this straight.

You think in this area of the “look pa, a bathroom on the inside” GA just needs to pick seven different locations that meet the ADA standard. Rather than close like an Obama law requires, and their own elected officials in this Democrat majority area recommend… but it’s all the republicans fault.

Man it must suck to be a ignorant yuppie.

1 Like

I linked the Obama era DOJ agreement they are bound by. It contains concrete timelines to make them ADA compliant or to move voting to somewhere that is. And what crap heads? Are you telling me this county that is 61% black and voted for Hillary by eleven points is being run by elected white republican racists? Do you have evidence of same?

Yeah the Republican Party really isn’t trying to restrict voting and get their numbers right. Thru 2013…

" Seventy-five new voting restrictions have been introduced in 30 states in 2013. North Carolina is leading the way.

New legislation would reduce the early voting period in North Carolina from two-and-a-half weeks to just one week and would eliminate voting on the last Sunday of early voting, when African-American churches hold “Souls to the Polls” get-out-the-vote drives. The legislation would also limit early voting locations to one site per county, which is a recipe for much longer lines. In Charlotte’s Mecklenburg County, for example, there were 22 early voting locations in 2012."

Any word from the TRUMP DOJ on whether they will enforce this agreement? The administration has no problem rolling back other Obama era agreements, why is this one not being rolled back?

1 Like

So you guys can run around screaming he hates people in wheelchairs?

1 Like

The Trump administration has been in charge since January of last year… Time to step up and get to work… no more whining about the mean ole Obama administration… These agreements can be modified in DAYS… Why are they shirking their responsibilities to the voters of this county?

1 Like

Although no one seems to have the information on who these county board members responsible for this decision are, I think, considering the source of the information, we would know by now if they were a group of all white Republicans.
That would be screamed at us by now.
It is not for nothing that the makeup of that board is not described.

One article blames hiring the guy who made the decision on the republican running for governor, even though he was hired by the county as part of the DOJ agreement that demanded they hire someone to make the assessment.

yeah. for God’s Sake they’ve have plenty of time to fix it. use some store or church.

Well gee that is obviously enough time for him to ferret out each and every bad decision made by the Obama administration down to the teeny tiny county level.

If you have a list of locations that are ADA compliant, in the right places and willing to act as polling places I suggest you share it with the guy who’s job it was to make the assessment and recommendation.