GDP Growth Below 3%

Brave hell, the inflation fears were over hyped from the start which is why they relaxed.

Obama couldn’t even manage 3% growth for a full quarter over 8 years.

2018-

Q1 2.2%, Q2 4.2%, Q3 3.5%.

Q3 is going to have to be really bad for 2018 not to look very good overall.

What? Q2 2014 broke over 5%. It was yearly GDP that Obama couldn’t break 3% on, not quarterly.

Trump hasn’t managed it either, despite promises of 5-6% growth due to the tax cuts.

4 Likes

Q4. And yes, it’s estimated to be bad. 2019 even worse.

Brain fart, no full year at 3%.

The expectations are still for around 3% and and once the trade deal with China is worked out that’s only going to get better.

Not anymore, recent estimates are putting 2019 at less than 2.5%

Q4 2018 looking to be around 1.5% now.

I think 2019 is going to be a bad/slow year for most countries economies.

And I wouldn’t rely on a trade deal with China for anything. I don’t see any indication that Trumps people are 1: Close to a deal, or 2: Close to a good deal.

3 Likes

We shall see. There won’t be anything but a good deal and China is hurting.

Estimates are only estimates.

I don’t have that much trust in Trump and his people to negotiate a good deal. Especially not when the Chinese are on the other side of the table, Xi is a brutal autocrat but you always want to read the fine-print in any deal with the Chinese.

Trump will certainly insist it’s a good deal regardless of the details.

It’s hard to tell whether the Chinese are hurting too bad or not, you can’t really trust any of the figures on their economy. Though if US figures are anything to go by, it doesnt seem like they’re suffering too badly:

You’re buying even more from them than you were before the tarriffs. They’re buying less from you.

1 Like

Xi also has serious worries bout his own economy collapsing if they don’t get a deal done.

Self preservation is a huge motivator especially for Communist Dictators.

These “facts” are mostly rather vague which reduces their effectiveness. “A lot of money” and “wages rising” don’t mean much.

Are they really suffering right now? Again, you’re buying even more from them now than you were before placing the tarriffs.

That seems a tad back to front if the intent is to apply pressure to their economy.

Moreover, it seems most economists and analysts are poo-pooing the idea of a hard Chinese landing. They’re looking pretty healthy atm.

We were told growth was going to shoot through the roof after the tax cut. Then we were told it was going to happen after NAFTA is renegotiated. Now it’s gojng to happen when we sign a trade deal with China.

Seems like the explosive growth we are promised is always just around the corner.

4 Likes

#fakenews

Obama’s Q GDP was always negative, I think one time it was -167865%, that’s how awful Obama was.

1 Like

Interesting. Cite the hash tag “fakenews” and then go on to say something false.

Good show.

.^^^^

You can thank almost every media outlet, pundit, D politician and some Rs for placing the removal of Trump from office as being more important than all that you just posted.

No they are not. This post is wildly inaccurate. This year will likely end around 2.8% annualized with Q4 likely coming in around 2.0% on the high side. And no trade deal with China will change the reality that this was far and away Trump’s only real shot at eclipsing 3.0% annualized because of the Tax Cuts artificially inflating the economy for a year.

4 Likes

What does that have to do with impacting GDP?

2 Likes

When the 2018 GDP comes out at less than 3%, the built in excuse of “raising interest rates by feds caused this” will be pushed heavily.

5 Likes