Fox News and Media Bias

GOP’s Elise Stefanik refusing to be bullied by House intel panel chairman

NOT TAKING IT

GOP’s Elise Stefanik refusing to be bullied by House intel panel chairman

The lead story at FOX on-line this morning is about how Representative Elise Stefaniak refuses to be bulled by Adam Schiff.

What does this tell us about Fox presenting “fair and balanced” or partisan news?

The lead on CNN’s site is the Democratic Gubernatorial win in Louisiana. Tha story is buried in about eighth position on Fox. The lead on the New York Times is about how Fedex pays no corporate taxes, the Louisiana election is second. The lead on the Washington Post is about the contents of the released Tim Morrison deposition while the Louisiana story is third.

Consider the Fox story. On Sunday morning, they are leading with an event that happened on Friday morning on live TV. This is not new news.

More curious though is the presentation of Stefaniak resisting “bullying.” Devin Nunes tried to give time during his opening questioning to Representative Stefaniak. This was a violation of the rules of the inquiry. Nunes knew this since he had previously acknowledged that these rules limited the time that could be used by recent committee addition Jim Jordan. Chairman Schiff enforced the rules and did not allow Congresswoman Stefaniak to take the floor. How does the Chairman enforcing widely known and understood rules qualify as “bullying.”

Meanwhile, President’s Trump’s tweet attacking Ambassador Yovanovitch, which is a much stronger candidate for an example of bullying – a person in a position of power launching an ad hominin attack on someone else – that does not appear to meet the Fox standard of bullying.

Lots of people complain about media bias here. Now we have an excellent example. The Republican Party is looking to make Elise Stefaniak more prominent because they recognize they need more women conservatives to address the defection of women from the Republican Party since 2016. So Fox is featuring a two-day story under a phony claim of bullying to promote the career of a useful Republican congressperson.

This is media bias in action.

1 Like

I wonder why the AP, Reuters, ABC, NBC, CBS, NYTimes, CNN, MSNBC, etc, all appear to carry the same coverage with the same bias and let FOX stand unchallenged.

I would expect one of the outlets to decide to separate from the pack and build an audience from FOX and the middle ground.

Risk and reward…dare to be different.

:newspaper_roll:

Or perhaps FOX carries a different version of the news because it is lying to you?

And to add a reality check, I just documented how the Times, the Post and CNN all have different leads – which contradicts your assertion that they all run with the same coverage.

Can you comment on the specifics of the coverage as described in the OP or are you going to respond with generalities?

3 Likes

Did you not observe the exchange? Do you not conclude that Schiff set rules that differed between the parties and that he attempted to bully her when she attempted an equal status with Dems? I did.

1 Like

Schaffer’s did not set the rules. Quit making things up. The rule was already in place and Republicans knew about it. They then acted as if they didn’t and you fell for it.

4 Likes

Can’t and won’t. LIBS!

The rules were adopted by the committee. Telling someone that they have to obey the rules is not bullying. What would have Schiff do?

Give in to Stefaniak – in which case there are special rules for Republican women?

Schiff did not respond at a personal or insulting level. All he did was say that she could not have the floor given the rules? He did not say she was “bad news”. He did not say she was “going to go through some things.” He did not say she was too ugly to get his attention. She did not say she should stop “bleeding from her whatever.”

There’s plenty of bullying you could be concerned about, if you actually were concerned about bullying.

5 Likes

Really? So Nunes isn’t allowed to hand over his available time to his fellow Congresswoman to ask questions? That’s perfectly normal? Can you guide me to a link that better explains this? I admit, it’s not my expertise but it surely came across as a one-sided…unfair…affair.

I wonder why most people eat food while only some dig in their nose for grub? What’s with the bias?

Was the “committee” made up equally of Rs and Ds?

I thought Schiff showed bis own bias and misogyny by refusing to let Stefanik use the allotted time.

This story is a lead because Schiff acknowledged his 2020 election collusion by referring to the “resistance” in the CA D rally he spoke at last night. he besmirched, not just the president, but the person he is unfairly prosecuting an impeachment against.

Imagine a judge going on CNN and calling a defendant a charlatan on TV.

MORE evidence of the gross bias and collusion against the President.

The LA election is really a regional story with a close and expected outcome.

I like the FedEx pays no taxes story. That looks like a winner to lead with.

The Morrison deposition is about the same exposure across the board…and looks to favor Trump BTW.

I am looking for more expose type stories like the FedEx one.

Our local paper the Pgh Post Gazette does this well and is actually my primary source of news.

Schiff messed up and FOX justly led with it.

:mega:

Fox News is actively telling it’s audience to NOT pay attention to the news and to NOT be informed. It’s not even a different type of news they are pushing.

1 Like

These are the committee rules. The ranking member of each party can only yield opening time to their outside counsel. Since the same rules apply to both parties, how can you claim this is one-side.

Representative Stefaniak has the same allotted time as any other member of the committee an other members can yield to her during their allotted time.

There is nothing one-sided or unfair about this. And besides its just a process issue so its sort of surprising to see Republicans taking it seriously.

1 Like

Success usually breeds copycats.

Yet in the media group think and no risk rule the roost and FOX simply dominates the ratings.

During Q3 2019, FNC averaged 1.4 million viewers and 230,000 with A25-54 in total day. In prime time, FNC delivered 2.4 million viewers and 366,000 in the 25-54 demographic, notching 46 consecutive quarters as the most-watched cable news channel in the prime time demo (Adults 25-54).

It’s like saying the NE Patriots have no idea what they are doing??

:newspaper_roll:

Yes. The rules were well established, and at that point in in the hearing, Nunes and the R counsel were not allowed to yield their time to non-ranking members of the committee. Nunes and Stefanik knew this. And Schiff very calmly maintained order when Nunes and Stefanik rolled eyes, got attitude, and insisted they be allowed to break the rules. Schiff did not allow it. He simply refused to recognize the gentlewoman.

I actually broke down the situation in this post, with video, timestamps, etc.

There was no bullying, but this is the narrative that Fox is peddling. They needed to put on their show, and it apparently worked.

“Bias and misogyny”. Really?

The application of fully understood rules that apply to all members of the committee becomes bias and misogyny when applied to a woman.

You really have fallen for Fox’s propaganda there Camp.

1 Like

Was the committee made up equally of Ds and Rs or…was it one sided?

Elections have consequences. Just like in the senate mcconnel can let legislation from the house sit without action and blue slips from dem senators (for judges) can be ignored.

You would argue that Fox stands alone in opposition to all the liberal media. With multiple outlets you criticize as liberal dividing. their audience, of course Fox would have a larger audience share.

That does not address the issue how FOX is deliberately serving up distorted news to promote a conservative agenda.

Or do you prefer News that informs you about two day old stories and ignores more recent events?

2 Likes

Dear GOP and Fox News… Please, please continue your fawning support of Elsie…

https://twitter.com/TedraCobb/status/1195879470378442752?s=20

That’s her opponent… $650,000 dollars raised since Elsie’s appearance… LMAO…