Former President Obama delivers a powerful unapologetic eulogy

and none of them want their kids attending any integrated jungle schools… oops, wait, thats the other guy. My bad,

1 Like

You do realize that is not a quote from teh eulogy. Obama didn’t say that about trump. The author of the article did.

here is the transcript.

he doesn’t mention trump

Those are the author of the article’s words. Not Obamas.

That is not a quote from the Eulogy.

What are you babbling on about.

Maybe you should ask Joe? What exactly did he mean when he said it? Was it a “if you ain’t in a jungle school you ain’t black” kinda thing?

1 Like

Behind a pay wall.

In 1977 - over 40 years ago!!!

You can hardly take the moral high ground as Trumpists tell us time and time aain that anything Trump did before he was President is irrelevant. You support a man that has no regard for traditional conservative values such as marriage, respecting women, taking personal accountability.

Oh thats right he magically became born again upon being elected President.

locker room talk

1 Like

Thanks. I could read that one.

NP.

I forget often that NYT is subscription based.

James wrote to the believers, “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing.”

Invoking an author from the Bible? Shame!

His mother, Willie Mae Lewis, nurtured that curiosity in this shy, serious child. “Once you learn something,” she told her son, “once you get something inside your head, no one can take it away from you.”

Celebrating learning? So typical of an anti-American like Obama!

John Lewis was getting something inside his head, an idea he couldn’t shake that took hold of him — that nonviolent resistance and civil disobedience were the means to change laws, but also change hearts, and change minds, and change nations, and change the world.

Promoting peaceful resistance to the established order? Shame!

Like John the Baptist preparing the way, like those Old Testament prophets speaking truth to kings, John Lewis did not hesitate — he kept on getting on board buses and sitting at lunch counters, got his mug shot taken again and again, marched again and again on a mission to change America.

Politicizing the Bible again! Like Obama even knows how to properly cling to a Bible!

The life of John Lewis was, in so many ways, exceptional. It vindicated the faith in our founding, redeemed that faith; that most American of ideas; that idea that any of us ordinary people without rank or wealth or title or fame can somehow point out the imperfections of this nation, and come together, and challenge the status quo, and decide that it is in our power to remake this country that we love until it more closely aligns with our highest ideals.

Radical! Subversive!

He believed that in all of us, there exists the capacity for great courage, that in all of us there is a longing to do what’s right, that in all of us there is a willingness to love all people, and to extend to them their God-given rights to dignity and respect.

What is this hive mind hippy groupthink?!?

But even as we sit here, there are those in power are doing their darnedest to discourage people from voting — by closing polling locations, and targeting minorities and students with restrictive ID laws, and attacking our voting rights with surgical precision, even undermining the Postal Service in the run-up to an election that is going to be dependent on mailed-in ballots so people don’t get sick.

Now we get to the REAL reason Obama is speaking - he’s in league with anti-Trump radicals to rig the election!

Like John, we have got to fight even harder for the most powerful tool we have, which is the right to vote. The Voting Rights Act is one of the crowning achievements of our democracy. It’s why John crossed that bridge. It’s why he spilled his blood. And by the way, it was the result of Democratic and Republican efforts.

A nonsense appeal at bipartisanship! Like Democrats will reach across the aisle if they are given back power? Eat your peas!

Obama then goes on to promote ideas like automatic voter registration (including inmates who paid their debt to society), adding polling places, making Election Day a national holiday, and expanding early voting. He also talks about limiting partisan gerrymandering, and eliminating the Senate filibuster.

Attacking Americans who do not vote out of apathy or cynicism. Why does he hate Americans so much?

And that’s what John Lewis teaches us. That’s where real courage comes from. Not from turning on each other, but by turning towards one another. Not by sowing hatred and division, but by spreading love and truth. Not by avoiding our responsibilities to create a better America and a better world, but by embracing those responsibilities with joy and perseverance and discovering that in our beloved community, we do not walk alone.

The fact that Obama never once mentions Trump is so typical of radical libs who refuse to recognize what our Favorite President, Him has done for America and civil rights in particular. I mean, he’s done more than Lewis ever did. Many, many people agree with that. But Obama couldn’t bring himself to ever say Trump’s name!

(disclaimer - not poeing, just engaging in some dark sarcasm to underscore how ridiculous the criticism of Obama’s eulogy is)

3 Likes

His name is John Lewis and he was a civil rights icon.

1 Like

denzel
Good post!

excellence

It was a wonderful eulogy. Sad that Obama has been asked to do so many these days, we are losing a lot of great men. But man, can he deliver…

“While my time here has now come to an end, I want you to know that in the last days and hours of my life you inspired me. You filled me with hope about the next chapter of the great American story when you used your power to make a difference in our society,”

-John Lewis, right before his death to BLM protesters.

Yeah I’m sure he would have been horrified to hear Obama talking about current events.

3 Likes

40 years? Apparently not much has changed, cause those same black kids are of voting age and now he tells them thinking about who to vote for “ain’t black”. Probably due to the education they got in jungle schools

I agree that John Lewis would not have a problem with Obama’s eulogy.

He was a lifelong activist and I doubt he would want the opportunity to go to waste.

As would anyone who is an activist for anything.