Fire at the historic Notre Dame Cathedral

Terrible tragedy.

If it was intendedly set or terrorist activity, yesterday would have been the day; Palm Sunday.

Only an hour after it starts, wise choice not to go down that path.

Just a quick compare/contrast ā€¦

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/1117886698568830976

3 Likes

Sad news.

In 1984 the historic York Minster in England was seriously damaged by fire. It cost around 4.5 million pounds to restore it back to its former glory. In todayā€™s money that is just over 10 million pounds. Looking at the damage to Notre Dame which is far more extensive the cost is going to be significantly more than 10 million and while I hope they do restore it we might have to accept the cathedral is lost for ever.

They will rebuild it, even if they have to do it from the bones.

To rebuilt exact duplicate itā€™s going to cost hundreds of millions of dollars easily.

And thatā€™s not counting other art.

I hope they have complete visual documentation of every single corner in that building.

Donations is already coming in.

Here good a time for someone from Middle east to donate 100 millionā€¦maybe from house of Saudiā€™s. :wink:

1 Like

ā– ā– ā– ā–  empathy -fat donald

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1117872972558163970?s=21

He isnā€™t good with words, but I donā€™t think he means bad.

4 Likes

I donā€™t think money will be an issue the Cathedral is such an important part of French history, i like you said I hope they have detail plans on it so they can rebuild it as former glory.

If the cathedral burns down completely I just do not see them rebuilding it. The cost would be astronomical to try and recreate it.

The labour and craftmanship that is needed to create a repl[quote=ā€œconan, post:91, topic:176068, full:trueā€]
To rebuilt exact duplicate itā€™s going to cost hundreds of millions of dollars easily.

And thatā€™s not counting other art.

I hope they have complete visual documentation of every single corner in that building.
[/quote]

Agreed. Art that has been lost is gone forever. You cannot recreate that. You made a great point about the craftsmanship needed to replicate what was there is only practiced by a small number today. Even then they cannot replicate 100% the detail of the middle ages.

Whatever he said, something bad would have been made out of it.

I donā€™t see them just bulldozing it and selling the lot if its completely ruined they will rebuild it I donā€™t think money is an issue the cathedral is part of France, It would be like the U.S capitol burning down.

The Cathedral has been burned before, looted, etc.

Just imagine how hot that 800 year plus solid old oak burned.

From google

A: Measurements made in several oak log fires indicated that the maximum temperature of the fire (in the crevice between the logs) was 900Ā°F to 1200Ā°F and that the gas just outside the flame envelope was 200Ā°F to 400Ā°F. A temperature of 900Ā°-1200Ā°F is barely the ignition temperature of the volatiles and results in ā€¦

Donā€™t you think it has been gradually replaced over 800 years for maintenance reasons?
The WH was rebuilt after the British burned it in 1812. Very little of that structure remains.

No, if there wasnā€™t a need why? If the wood was kept dry and out of the weather it can last thousands of years.

The fact is, we would never know if heā€™d be bashed for saying something empathetic, will we?

I was listening to a gal who is a Art Historian and spent a lot of time there. She said that it is one of the most well documented buildings on the planet. I agree that it will cost some major dollars to reconstruct. But I have no doubt that the money will be available. And I will bet that there are machines that can duplicate the interior woodwork.