Fire at the historic Notre Dame Cathedral

I am endlessly thankful to my parents for taking me there as a child, so that i was able to see it before today.

This is a staggering tragedy.

I’m sure we’ll learn what the cause was, and I hope it’s something natural and not a careless or negligent person. Could you imagine being the person responsible for this? I feel sick just thinking about it.

I’m not sure how it can be nature considering it’s the roof and no lighting strike. Because it clearly looks like the fire started on the roof. And with all the valley’s and roof to wall…it’s going to require lots of torchdown.

Speculation is starting that it was intentionally set.

TIME reporter, Christopher Hale tweeted that he had been told it was. He then immediately pulled his Tweet down.

I was listening to Shep Smith on FOX. He was talking to a French official who started in that direction. Smith cut him off and hung up on him.

Seems a tad early for that to have been determined, not like it has even cooled off to investigate yet.

1 Like

Speculation is just that. It would be journalistic malpractice to speculate while the fire is burning with no evidence.

I know I’ve seen it before. About 7 O’clock a fire on roof breaks out. And they were doing a torchdown. The time of this fire is about right.

I’m willing to be avatar for one month on it. :wink:

Sad. I hope they can restore. I was there around 2003. It’s a wonderful building with gothic features. Love the gargoyles.

way to early to tell, the building was having a lot of work done on it so it could have easily been a accident.

I wish Smith hadn’t cut that French official off. He may have had more than speculation. If it was arson, I’m sure we’ll find out in days to come.

With the rudest people is you don’t speak French. I enjoyed driving to Normandy much more than Paris.

If I’m correct it isn’t an accident. It’s outright carelessness. They should have left eyes on it even if you have to leave someone there until midnight.

Yep, they’re jealous of their language. French used to be the international diplomatic language. They’re still pissed that it was replaced by English.

Speculating he has more info than speculation, the double spec.

I would imagine someone is responsible whether purposely or accidentally.

I didn’t know that. I know a lot of our words come from the French language.

oh the French always upset about something.

we have a saying in Canada “You can never make a Frenchman happy, so don’t bother”

2 Likes

Just to be “That Guy” and no other reason… Thoughts and Prayers

I don’t find them rude at all. No more than people in any large city and quite a bit less than some large cities. Many Americans who find them to be rude just don’t understand the unwritten rules of their culture. For instance, they consider it rude to enter a shop and not greet the proprietor and even more rude to handle the merchandise without permission. So you can see how that would lead a lot of Americans to think the people in French shops are rude when they reciprocate what they consider rude behavior with rude behavior of their own.

I’ve been trying to learn French the past couple of years and planned to go to Nice. Then thought, no, they would be just as snobby as parisians.

I’ll still learn French but my next trip is to Liverpool to see some Beatles history.

I’ll sing Michell, ma belle. Sont les mots qui vont très bien ensemble.