Fire at the historic Notre Dame Cathedral

The stained glass will be toast too.

I renew my call for congress to change the Presidential Seal to a facepalm for the remainder of his time in office.

6 Likes

wouldnā€™t dumping a few tons of water on a building destroy it?

1 Like

Yep, it will never be the same but I think they will rebuild it. It will cost billions though everything will have to be hand crafted.

Indeed, their still lots of people doing stain glass today so that isnā€™t as mush of lost art.

It can, stone can have negative reaction to sudden temp change.

The problem is not so much the shell - that will almost certainly be rebuilt. The bigger issue is the 900-odd years of history that can never be rebuilt. There areā€¦ were artifacts in there that are 4 times older than the United States.

I understand the 3 relics located in the spire were all lost when the spire collapsed.

This is irreplaceable loss both to Paris and the Catholic Church.

My sympathies are all I can extend to the billions of people effected by this tragedy.

1 Like

only a few days before Easter and the start of Lent too.

The big thing is all the artwork and history that is inside the place.

Evidently the fire has reached the lower wooden levels and is intensifying yet again.

All the gargoyles and hand crafted marble/stone work above the doors were magnificent. Iā€™ve been several times and consider myself lucky because of it.

It was reported that the statuary that was in the center of the cathedral was removed last week as part of the renovation. First responders are now inside trying to save artwork.

These are 3 photos I took in 2005 of gargoyles overlooking Paris.

32769283932_220a9f653a_z 32882430386_fa74c25552_z 32922764495_4bf211ef1c_z

2 Likes

That entire building was a piece of art.

1 Like

Now Iā€™m jealous, I wish Iā€™ve seen it when I had a chance.

Paris is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

1 Like

I am sure glad I have taken my children there twice over the last decade, we did the bell tower private tour last time.

Thatā€™s great.

I was wondering if they were doing a torchdown on the roofā€¦and then walked away because it was end of the day/shilft leaving no one behind to check on those torchdown.