Federal tax on earned wages raises valid constitutional questions

Samm,
I am no spring chicken myself. As a matter of fact, I vividly remember running up the staircases in NYC’s five story tenements, delivering ice to people with ice boxes. So, I can very well relate to your feelings stated above. Having said that, I have also lived through the years when our federal income tax system was basically used to raise revenue, long before the current time in which it has been so corrupted as I pointed out HERE, that it has become like a virus and is being used in a manner which is destroying our country from within.

As much as I feel like throwing up my hands and not worrying because my end is near, I cannot shake a sense of obligation to speak out and do whatever I can to help improve the situation. I feel that I owe at least that much, having been blessed to not only growing up in the United States, but during the years when income taxation was mainly used to raise revenue, and not as a weapon and tool which is currently used to destroy the United States from within.

JWK

We are here today and gone tomorrow, but what is most important is what we do in-between and is what our children will inherit and remember us by.

That seems like a good note on which to end this thread. :+1:

I’m not sure why it would be a good note to end the thread on, when there are still valid questions which go unanswered regarding a federal tax on earned wages.

JWK

I’m still curious to understand why our Constitution’s rule of apportionment is enforced with respect to representation, but its protection is not enforced with respect to direct taxation.

Because we don’t have direct taxation.

We don’t? Just what is a direct tax, which you assert we don’t have?

Well, the government pretends our incomes pay the tax and not ourselves.

Progressivism brings out the worst in men.

A capitation tax or property tax.

A federal tax on a laboring person’s earned wage is not a tax upon property, and meets the characteristics which define a “direct tax” as the phrase is found in our Constitution?

Doesn’t matter. The 16th says such a tax is not apportioned, even if direct.

But you know that.

The Sixteenth Amendment does not declare “Congress shall have power to lay and collect a direct tax on earned wages, without apportionment.”

Nor does the Sixteenth Amendment declare “Congress shall have power to lay and collect direct taxes on incomes, without apportionment.”

But our Constitution does in fact declare: “No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in Proportion to the Census or Enumeration herein before directed to be taken.”

Why are you making stuff up? Let us at least be honest in this discussion.

Tell me you don’t know how amendments work without telling me you don’t know how amendments work.

Well, I’m not sure why you found it necessary to post a snarky remark. Aside from that, Is there a constitutional amendment repealing the requirement that, “direct” taxes are to be apportioned?

JWK

It’s been several days now and I see you still have not answered the question, is there a constitutional amendment repealing the requirement that, “direct” taxes are to be apportioned?