Federal judge halts Trump's proposed food stamp cutback for 700,000 Americans

https://ecf.dcd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/show_public_doc?2020cv0119-107

Opinion of the Court in two consolidated cases, District of Columbia, et al., v United States Department of Agriculture, et al. and Bread for the City, et al., v United States Department of Agriculture, et al.

Chief United States District Judge Beryl Howell of the District of Columbia presided over the case.

Judge Howell vacated a Final Rule of the Department of Agriculture that would have cut off food stamps for 700,000 Americans.

There are the four section headers from her discussion of law.

To summarize this, Judge Howell essentially drilled the USDA a new â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  This rule was so â– â– â– â– â– â–  up and out of line it never had a chance of passing legal muster.

A. USDA Failed to Provide Sufficient Notice of Changes Adopted In Final Rule

B. The Final Rule’s Waiver Changes are Arbitrary and Capricious and Not in
Accordance with Law

C. The Final Rule’s Discretionary Exemption Change is Contrary to Law

D. Final Rule’s Consideration of Cost and Disparate Impact Are Arbitrary and
Capricious

2 Likes

Arbitrary and capricious. That will be on the Trumps admins headstone.

4 Likes

I didn’t see anything in the article discussing how Trump proposed anything. It talks about the department of agriculture’s proposal though. :thinking:

1 Like

And just who appointed the current Secretary of Agriculture???

4 Likes

The buck stops at the Oval Office.

3 Likes

Can I see the memo that Trump wrote regarding it then?

This is a long term effort that has shown positive results for transition to work and a better life.

The first serious attempt to connect welfare with work worked like a charm. However, over time work requirements were watered down.

Pennsylvania is a perfect example of this slow fade. The Keystone State abuses SNAP loopholes to exempt most healthy adults without children from work. In 2017, Pennsylvania exempted adults in 42 counties. Today, despite lower unemployment rates, 63 counties (94 percent!) are exempt from work requirements.

In the TANF program, the five-year lifetime limit has been waived for well over 5,000 Pennsylvanians. In fact, in 2016 nearly one in four families across the nation receiving TANF benefits beyond five years were from Pennsylvania.

In Medicaid, a 2015 expansion to healthy adults earning up to 138 percent of the federal poverty level (about $16,750), added nearly 800,000 participants, at least half of whom report no income.

Waivers and expansions have made it easier for Pennsylvanians to stay on the sidelines while employers struggle to fill jobs, but that’s beginning to change.

Recent congressional attempts to strengthen work requirements in SNAP through the Farm Bill stalled, and now bureaucrats are proposing reform through regulation. Changing waiver rules to account for record-low unemployment rates, and prevent states from “gerrymandering” communities to maximize exemptions could exempt just 10 percent of the healthy adult population from work—versus 44 percent today.

Now is not a good time for this policy. It is a good policy.

1 Like

I mean, can you produce literally anything that proves Trump can write at all? Besides signing his name?

So was there a written order by the president to do this after all?

That and the memo was probably longer than 280 characters.
.WW, PSHS

I’m just acting for some examples of literally anything Trump definitely wrote himself. Consider wrote a memo about food stamps a subset of this category.

If a Dept if Agriculture program was a huge success, I wonder if you’d say Trump had nothing to do with it…

When I indulge in my most evil thoughts, It crosses my mind that obesity is a comorbidity of Covid-19. Some twisted individuals might believe our President is actually trying to save lives, while justifying his administrations responsibly controlling spending during this “pandemic/hoax” by reducing food stamps. I imagine some Trump supporters might even think culling the excess non-productive population will make America leaner and great again. It scares me how easily I can attribute this disgusting imagined line of thinking to other Americans. I know I have TDS.

My rational mind says it’s a ridiculous and an abominable thought, but still I wonder, is this what many radical liberals think is the mindset of our President, and perhaps a line of attack the liberal media will pursue in the last weeks of the 2020 Presidential campaign?

Even scarier I wonder if the radical liberal are wrong in their assessment, but in the end I fall back on my pre-2016 thinking. President Trump is not evil. He is incompetent and doesn’t care. Starving your people during a crisis is both, but I have no idea who is running the White House today, because in my heart, I know President Trump is not averse to reckless spending or giving money for votes.

I have to assume he just isn’t seeing much more than his twitter feed.

Well that’s a stupid comment.

So you don’t have one either?

Agitated hive response complete with fantastical projections while lacking an actual answer to a mere question.

With the way the left follows Trump at the heels, you’d think someone would’ve just produced a document showing that this was in fact Trump’s own personal proposal. :thinking:

2 Likes

Holy â– â– â– â–  dude.

Pandemic? Cut food stamps. ???. Profit.

1 Like

So Trump isn’t responsible for what his appointees do? Is he responsible for anything that puts his admin in a bad light, or does he just get credit for whatever positives that happen to take place, all the negatives are someone else’s fault?

The buck stops in trumps pocket but the blame gets passed on…