February 15: Options for President Trump

I’m guessing there is no possible compromise. The best case would be 5 billion for general border related protections (increased ICE, fence repair and improvements, more judges, drones etc) and permanent DACA provisions. But Trumps Base won’t allow for that so my bet is on an emergency declaration.

1 Like

This is no longer about a wall at all, if it ever was. Polls show that an overwhelming number of Republicans believe a wall is effective and an overwhelming number of Democrats believe it is not.
There is no evidence that either most Republicans or most Democrats have special technical knowledge about the effectiveness of a wall as a barrier to illegal immigration. Each side is mostly just supporting their own side.
Because of that, Democrats in the House will block anything that looks like wall funding. Hopefully, the saner Democrats in the House will agree to increased border security without a specific wall but leave it up to actual engineers and technicians to decide where to spend it.
But I doubt that will happen.

Trump’s ego would make it hard to resign; as did Nixon’s. But I wonder if a deal that salvages some portion of his financial empire and keeps several close relatives out of prison … maybe drops the NYS tax evasion case against him would be sufficient. Besides, I think Donald Trump would have much more fun with a daily political TV show than he has as President.

I would agree with this assessment.

And I would agree with this assessment.

I would like to see a deal that @biggestal99 suggested, but with Washington DC as divided as it is now, I don’t think that it will happen. Unfortunately, I don’t think that they are going to reach any kind of deal any time soon.

Just to add a little wood to that fire, Mick Mulvaney today on “Face the Nation” said Trump is willing to shut the government down again in February. Where are all the people who were posting yesterday that Trump ended the shutdown out a concern for the well being of government employees.

Doesn’t Mulvaney understand that the Air Traffic Controllers know how to end a shutdown quickly at this point?

2 Likes

If trump really cared about illegal immigration he wouldn’t have knowingly hired so many. And if conservatives really cared about illegal immigration they’d hold trump accountable for knowingly hiring so many.

Why do you doubt it? Democrats have voted before for comprehensive border security bills that had detailed information on how and where the funding would be used. But this time this administration has ignored multiple requests about the details of the proposed wall. Trump wants a blank check and a campaign promise win. And what is really sad is that he has convinced a number of his supporters that the $5.7B will solve all of the problems.

2 Likes

How can you say its not about a wall when Trump has repeatedly made it about a wall. Building a wall was a key part of his election campaign. Throughout his administration he has repeatedly said the wall will be built. Yesterday in a tweet he repeated that the wall will be built.

I know its great spin to say that when Trump talks about a wall he is talking about border security in general but if that’s the case then why does he keep talking about building a wall.

I am not disagreeing that border security is important but just as important is addressing the number of illegal immigrants here and the businesses that continue to benefit from their labor. However, it is Trump that is making this issue just about a wall.

By blindly following Trump and his desire to build a wall, his supporters and you are part of that have allowed this current situation to develop. The refusal to call Trump to task and make sure he looks at border security from a bigger perspective is a failure of his supporters and advisers.

You seem to imagine that I am in a better position to call Trump to task about anything more than you are, or that I am that concerned about a wall as anything more than a reasonable border enforcement tool. And it is only one of several border tools…but not one that should be avoided like the plague just because Trump talked about it when running for President.

He should have fired the managers that knew as well.

The managers for his golf course were prolly pressured to keep salaries down.

It’s really hard getting good competent help here in jersey for landscapers, golf courses, hotels
Who will work for low wages.

Of course now, we here in jersey will be on our way to the livable 15 an hour wage, so that should help.

allan

Then why won’t the administration provide the requested details about the wall? I think that I am with a whole bunch of taxpayers who are oposed to writing blank checks.

The former. None of the funding will be for new sections of the wall. Improvements, repairs or replacing existing structure.

His base kind of sucks and is shrinking daily.

He needs to be President of the United States of America, not the President of AM radio MAGA pundits.

1 Like

Yep… I said that exact thing before.

A massive sickout from all affected people will end it real quick.

It would end the day after the first missed paycheck… not making it to the second missed paycheck next time around.

His base is made up of a lot of former blue collar democrats. I can imagine why they vote the way they do when people say they suck or will die eventually die off.

No one knows what 2020 will bring we might have him another 4 years.

That really isn’t his base though. Those are people who voted for him in 2016.

The Blue Wall that he flipped took a margin of around 70,000 votes across three states.

That is not a lot of people.

Close to half the country voted for him that is a lot of sucky people.