Farm bill passes with hemp exemption

Farm bill passes with hemp exemption

Hemp will now be legal for farmers to grow. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnel hopes it can replace tobacco to some extent as a staple crop in his home state of Kentucky.

It is also a good source of CDB oil which is one of the main ingredients in cannabis products used medicinally and legalized in a bunch of states.

I’ve seen a lot of arguments on both sides in regards to it’s value in the textile industry. It clearly can be used for a myriad of textiles but there is much debate about that because we already have cheaper ways to make all that stuff. Cheaper perhaps, but mostly petroleum based with many drawbacks that end up costing us in the long run. Anyhow, I’m not very up to speed on the textile arguments either way.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. A lot of people think this is just a ploy so that people can illicitly grow marijuana hidden among the hemp plants. I disagree, a lot of farmers who have no particular interest in marijuana are very interested in hemp.

Good news everybody!

I think so.

Some conservative priorities like increased work requirements for SNAP recipients have been removed. Not sure what the big deal over that is, what is wrong with able bodied people working for their benefits if they can? Admittedly I don’t know what the requirements are now however.

If you don’t work you don’t eat. That’s how I was raised. It doesn’t matter if you can’t find work. That’s on you.

I give my dogs CBD oil and CBD treats. They love it.

We can’t have people starving I don’t think, but nothing wrong with having to work for what you are able to.

What benefits does it provide?

A bunch of Wisconsin farmers got permission to grow hemp this past season as a trial run for the possibility of future hemp farming. It was kind of a bust, but also a learning opportunity, and they’re still eager to try again next year.

Here is an article that says it is kind of a toss up between hemp and cotton with no clear winner, and polyester being hard to compare in some ways because it is not an agricultural product.

CBD oil is about to get a lot cheaper methinks and that could be a wrench in the works if they don’t find or develop a lot of customers in the textile industry. People are importing hemp fiber and such now, so there is already some market available.

Nobody who knows what they’re doing would even think about growing MJ among hemp plants.

Are you saying they would crossbreed? Cuz that would be very bad lol.

They are essentially the same plant. Yes, they would crossbreed. Nobody wants marijuana with hemp levels of THC.

So people suggesting that were COMPLETELY full of crap.

(you know who you are)

People suggesting what?

That people wanted hemp legalized to make it easier to grow regular weed hidden among the hemp plants.

Of course that was a lie.

There’s no reason why either should be illegal. However, you can’t really do one without the other as they are essentially the same plant.

I use hemp salve on sore muscles. Works great.

But couldn’t you still do it if you were getting your seeds from an outside source? The cross breeding only affects the seeds, not the current plants?

You don’t want your marijuana plants to get fertilized at all. Once the plant is fertilized it stops making new flowers/thc and it starts making seeds. One male plant in a field of female plants can ruin them all.