Facing the backlash from coming out

I remember passing the time in the Detroit airport years ago waiting for a connection. Chatting with a guy who sold farm equipment. Flies all over teh country, spending time in small towns and farm country. We were having a real nice conversation. I found his lifestyle interesting. I always think of people traveling for work as going into big cities etc…

Anyway, suddenly he says something really derogatory about clinton - by todays standards it was probably pretty tame, but back then, I found it kind of shocking. Like ‘we have that rapist in teh white house’ or something like that. Maybe it wasn’t rapist. Maybe it was just ‘that immoral guy’…I forget.

But we were having such a good conversation, I didn’t want to it go to some weird place, so I said “you know, I happen to think Clinton is doing a good job, and has my support, so maybe we should change the subject.”

The guy absolutely flipped out on me. Raised his voice and started with “You seemed like an intelligent person! I can’t believe you would support that scum!” And on and on and on…

I got up and walked away.

It was a very bizarre encounter, particularly back then.

2 Likes

Serious question - are you against tolerance and respectfulness?

Not at all. I fully support it for all no matter how they think or who they vote for. A statement was made by @highroller that said “Do you want to force people to be nice to Republicans”? It would only be those on the left to not be nice to Republicans. I was under the impression that the left were for respect and tolerance. But they have shown time and time again that the only way they will have respect and or tolerance, is if you think and vote like them. Otherwise there is no respect and tolerance, no matter what they say.

Very Wokeish

Nice.