Explostive story on Beto O'Rourke held by reporter till after election

Can you only imagine is the reporter had discovered it was a Republican candidate that was a member of an infomous hacker group in their youth? Now way in hell it have been held.

Reuters reporter Joseph Menn exclusively revealed on Friday that Democratic presidential candidate Beto O’Rourke belonged to one of the best-known groups of computer hackers as a teenager.

After more than a year of reporting, Menn persuaded O’Rourke to talk on the record. In an interview in late 2017, O’Rourke acknowledged that he was a member of the group, on the understanding that the information would not be made public until after his Senate race against Ted Cruz in November 2018.

Can’t help but wonder if the election would have been more of a blow out for Cruz had this information come to light just before the election instead of 4 mouths after the election.

Even now it doesn’t seem to be gaining any traction in the lamestream media about his hacking days. You know with the Russian hacking and all . . .

Depends if they worked for Fox News or not.

Either way, Beto’s discussion was contingent on holding the story until after the election. He wouldn’t have talked with him otherwise.

1 Like

And here is the article

One thing you didn’t know: While a teenager, O’Rourke acknowledged in an exclusive interview, he belonged to the oldest group of computer hackers in U.S. history.

The hugely influential Cult of the Dead Cow, jokingly named after an abandoned Texas slaughterhouse, is notorious for releasing tools that allowed ordinary people to hack computers running Microsoft’s Windows. It’s also known for inventing the word “hacktivism” to describe human-rights-driven security work.

Funny the reported didn’t want the voters in the Texas election to ask the questions then.

Among the questions voters should ask, she said: “What was the violation? Was it egregious? What does it say about their character – do they believe the rules don’t apply to them?” If substantial time has passed, she added, voters should decide whether the person “learned the error of their ways and no longer engages in those kind of behavior.”

Reporter knew he was a former member. He could have blown it wide open then. But he wanted the bigger story instead of hurting the guy. You don’t see that do you?

How would this hurt him? Teen into computers hacks some things…ends up growing up and becoming an adult…

Yeah…scary ■■■■ man…

2 Likes

Once a hacker always a hacker. You don’t forget how to do those things.

If a republican were known to be involved in their younger years in a hacker group, would you have the same opinion?

:rofl:

You guys really have your fingers on the pulse, don’t you?

This wouldn’t have hurt him before the election, and it’s not going to hurt him now. If anything, it’s going to work in his favor.

7 Likes

If a republican candidate was known to be involved in a hacker group when they were a teenager, it would vastly increase the odds of me voting for them.

As for not forgetting how to do it - the way “hacking” worked in 1986 has almost no relation to how it happens today.

3 Likes

Ah so thats your angle? So now since you didnt hold trump to certain standards you want everyone else to hold beto to it…

Hacking is totally the same from killing a story about cheating in your wife a few times.

I give this thread a d plus…

4 Likes

Wow, this is enough to tar & feather him, right? Who didn’t do stupid ass things when they were a teen/young person? I know I’ve had my share of stuff. If EVERYTHING about everyone was exposed to the media while campaigning, we wouldn’t have elected officials.

Is cheating on your wife illegal activity?

Is what Beto did, with cDc?

Oh no you dont…you dont have a moral highground to argue from anymore…

Want to try again from a more honest standpoint? Your thread is already thin ice structurally

1 Like

Sounds like he has a really good understanding of The Cyber.

1 Like

Most hacking is illegal activity. Article says he hacked long distance lines that would be a misdomenor. If he did other stuff could be a felony.

Why would Beto only do the interview if the story was held until AFTER the election if he wasn’t worried about how it would effect the vote?

Is this based on your own experience? I can tell you, hacking in 1990’s and hacking today are completely different… Beto’s “cool factor” with younger voters just jumped 5X-10X

2 Likes

“Those things” were done on an Apple II, it’s hard to see the relevance to today’s internet.

It doesn’t really look like Cult of the Dead Cow was exactly the kind of hacker group we are familiar with.

CDC wasn’t of that ilk. Although some CDC essays gave programming and hacking instructions, in the late 1980s, the group was more about writing than it was about breaking into computer systems.

1 Like

The article in your OP says no such thing. Are you speaking of another link?

In high school there were a couple of hackers (the phone lines, games, you name it). They still do some hacking today, keep up on the latest. One now has a respectable job and helps the company keep hackers out. But in my experience, once they do it, they don’t stop.