Explain it like I'm 5: What benefits will I be seeing when net neutrality ends next month?

Reed Hastings, CEO of Netflix, seems to disagree. His blog post following Netflix agreeing to pay Comcast, lamenting the then weak net neutrality rules.

Strong net neutrality additionally prevents ISPs from charging a toll for interconnection to services like Netflix, YouTube, or Skype, or intermediaries such as Cogent, Akamai or Level 3, to deliver the services and data requested by ISP residential subscribers. Instead, they must provide sufficient access to their network without charge.

Interesting how speeds magically improved after Netflix began paying. 65% jump less than a month after the deal was made.

In the end, I’m glad you’re so enamored with ISPs. Capitalism, free market and all that hurrah. They’re about to get a lot more of all of our money with no gain for the paying customer.

The mods are working out the kinks. They discovered that posters could edit each others posts (or maybe it was titles) and had to change some settings.

Because the deal they made paid for the equipment needed to improve their speeds. Can you at least recognize the CEO of Netflix has a vested financial interest in this issue? That he has a motive to be less than upfront about what happened? It wasn’t only Netflix’s speed that improved, it was the speed of everything on Comcasts network once the gusher of Netflix’s video data was dealt with. They weren’t singled out and punished, they flooded connections that weren’t designed or prepared to handle that amount of traffic. And again, nothing in net neutrality prohibits the kind of deal that was made that solved it and if it did, the system would have staid bogged down.

While i think safiel has a point the idea that more ISPs can pop up and provide services is pretty silly. They would have to be leasing fiber from the big boys

Net neutrality does not prevent throttling indiviso customers for torrenting.

i’m not sure older people understand .000001% or how it all works. my mom and in-laws have no clue. heck, they still struggle with not opening email from criminals.

It’s a silly comparison because of the monopolistic nature of isps. There are hundreds of farms including small producers who can produce meat. NYC a city of 8.5 mil has access to 3 major isps and less than in ten total. We have access to thousands of farms.

Oh sweet Jesus. Thank you. A bright light of rationality and a perfectly put explanation

Wireless no matter how big t he bandwidth comes with significant limitations. Trees, buildings etc.

Though i agree it may be the first time Isps May take a hit in customers

As some posters have indicated. Sticking your fingers in your ears and going lalala can’t hear you is an awesome way to respond

ahhhh… you people are having trouble.

there are hundreds of content providers (meat providers).

Most people don’t buy direct from the farm. They go to the grocery store The store didn’t raise the animal. It didn’t kill the animal. It simply packaged up the cut and set the price… even though they didn’t make the product. The farm did.

Sheesh… you people are supposed to be all smart and everything.

No it isn’t, there are many more companies involved in back hauling data, ie competition.

here, let me explain it to the people that are making these decisions so they can understand it…

Andy and Barney get on a stagecoach with Gilligan and the Professor headed to Petticoat Junction. they charge Gilligan and the Professor more which makes Jan cry a year later.

The definition of monopoly is one provider, not ten. And that is poised to see a sharp uptick with the deployment of 5g.

Again that didn’t happen with Netflix and Comcast. What happened instead was, Netflix fold tickets to everyone in town and when they all tried to get on the coach, they couldn’t fit. Then Netflix and the coach company got in an argument about who should pay for more horses.

There are not hundreds of bandwidth providers. That’s where you are having trouble. That’s why Z brought up up 5G

I said monopolistic nature not monopoly. There is a lack of competition and it is due to infrastructure

I was taking about last mile. Infrastructure is owned and leased. Owner can set price to prevent competition.

man. tough crowd. can’t even tell a joke about politicians.