Even The First Lady "hates to see" children seperated from their families

Sometimes yes.

Err, Trump has ONLY carried out the laws that Congress enacted and refused to let them pass the buck. How EXACTLY is this his fault? The problem is a Congress that refuses to DO ITS JOB.

In this case it’s the Dems in Congress who would rather have a campaign issue than do their jobs and pass legislation to fix these loopholes causing all the problems.

M

I don’t know why they keep using the term “loopholes” as it doesn’t fit at all.

There are a series of laws and one significant court ruling complicating the process.

Kids may not be left with incarcerated adults.

Unaccompanied minors must be turned over to HHS within something like 72hrs and released to sponsors or “family members”, which is dubious at best. The only exception is those from MX and Canada which are supposed to be returned to each.

The kids of illegals/asylum seekers due to court rulings can only be held by ICE for 20 days and then must be turned over to HHS or released/deported with their parents.

Since October according to Nielsen again, there has been a 315% increase in the number of illegals fraudulently using kids not their own to take advantage of these laws since October.

We also have the problem of a backlog of over 600,000 people waiting for final asylum hearings.

If’ they’ve made it through the initial screening pending final status determination they are given a green card and allowed to stay until that final hearing.

Of course even if they are rejected at that final hearing they’ve had years in the US living at taxpayer expense and many will then marry to avoid deportation and/or have kids in the US to avoid same.

The only way we’ll ever get a handle on this is to secure the border, put a permanent end to catch and release and add enough judges to the system to get the backlog then dealt with.

We’ve also got to substantially raise the bar for “credible fear” and cease releasing families together to await those final hearings for years or we will never be able to even slow the rising tide from Central America.

We already allow over a hundred thousand refugees and asylees into the country each year on top of a million legal immigrants and the country can only handle a limited flow of immigrants from all legal sources annually much less deal with the millions of illegals already in the US.

I completely agree.

M

1 Like

I keep waiting for someone to come up with something else workable but I have yet to hear or see it.

So putting asylum seekers in jail, and separating their children from is the law. Lol.

Bush 43 and Obama never did that.

It’s like enforcing the zero tolerance speed limit to make a political point.

Sure you would get lots of fines but you also slow down commerence.

Allan

Catch and release asylum seekers.

End of problem.

Allan

Which should tell you that this is a propaganda ploy to derail the opposition to “sanctuary City” status.

I like this issue. It is one that taxpayers will crawl over broken glass to vote against.

All part of the legal dance…only claiming asylum when apprehended.

We get it.

You wouldn’t want them violating the law would you? For reference, here is the law:

(a) Authority to apply for asylum
(1) In general
Any alien who is physically present in the United States or who arrives in the United States (whether or not at a designated port of arrival and including an alien who is brought to the United States after having been interdicted in international or United States waters), irrespective of such alien’s status, may apply for asylum in accordance with this section or, where applicable, section 1225(b) of this title.

Going to the designated port of arrival would make the process more pleasant for everyone.

Well I am sure how “pleasant” it is for everyone is top of mind for these asylum seekers…:joy:

Don’t expect the world to bend over backwards if you fail to follow or understand the rules.

You can expect that the minors everyone is wringing their crying towels over are being very well cared for. Much better than the care they got from the traffickers on their to the centers.

Easy fix, stop dragging your children along with you when you break the law.

Except when you show up seeking asylum, which isn’t illegal, and they do the same thing

2 Likes

The proper way to seek asylum is to go directly to the border crossing, and make an asylum plea there.

It’s a different matter if the parents claim asylum during an arrest by immigration authorities, after they illegally crossed the border, and were caught days, weeks or months later .

I believe their is a President Clinton era law, with mandates that if processing of asylum seekers takes longer than three weeks, that the children can no longer be detained, and must be released to child protective services. If that is true, then the children must be separated from their parents by that law.

actually there are two types of asylum claims.

Allan

There are two proper ways.

Allan

Tommy,
exactly. It is not illegal to request asylum. If you haul up you and your children past the border and claim asylum due to credible fear. That is not illegal.

Allan

What’s the other way?

My point is, asylum seekers must contact immigration authorities to seek asylum.

They should not sneak in. I believe it throws a monkey wrench into everything, if they are illegally crossing our borders and residing in the US, and then claiming asylum during the arrest process, after being apprehended by immigration LEO.

1 Like