ESG Scores is the New Social Credit Score for the USA

This will shut you down economically if you are a conservative.

1 Like

Never gonna happen.

1 Like

Already happening, my bank is on board.

Ps not my bank for much longer, conservatives have to develop a parallel financial, media and educational system.

3 Likes

ESG Scores are why M&M’s are becoming inclusive.

Man that… it some funny ■■■■ right there.

How is it that feeding paranoia and grievance every single day.becomes so satisfying?

1 Like

Don’t blame you. If I found my bank was involved in this liberal BS i would quickly move my money.

2 Likes

The first question you need to answer is, to what extent does good ESG translate into good financial performance? On that, there have been more than 2,000 academic studies and around 70 percent of them find a positive relationship between ESG scores on the one hand and financial returns on the other, whether measured by equity returns or profitability or valuation multiples. Increasingly, another element is the cost of capital. Evidence is emerging that a better ESG score translates to about a 10 percent lower cost of capital as the risks that affect your business, in terms of its license to operate, are reduced if you have a strong ESG proposition.

There’s a reason why companies aren’t fighting this.

We looked at the reasons behind the relationship between ESG performance and financial outcomes and identified five sources of fundamental business value that explain these findings. The first is top-line growth. If you are a consumer goods company with a stronger sustainability proposition, you are more likely to attract customer loyalty and new customer segments. There is evidence that brands with more sustainable impact grow faster than brands that have a less sustainable proposition. On the business-to-business side, there also is a link. Large companies are seeking to channel ESG through their value chain. If you want to be a supplier to one of the world’s largest retailers, for example, you had better have a strong sustainability proposition on plastics, packaging, water use, and so on.

The second aspect is cost. If you are more resource-efficient, more water-efficient, have less packaging, you will generally have a lower unit-cost structure. The third area are your regulatory relationships. If you are more responsible about your assets’ environmental footprint, then the chances of an adverse, punitive regulatory outcome are lower, so there is potentially regulatory value here.

The fourth is talent. These days, newer recruits and millennials demand purposeful work and if you are an employer that can meet that need, you will attract and retain that talent, and likely higher productivity in the workplace. The evidence suggests that this is worth roughly 2 percent of your stock price each year. Then the fifth factor we found is investment optimization. There are downside risks of holding assets that become stranded. Coal assets and oil tankers, for example, have seen significant write-downs in recent years. Conversely, there are enormous opportunities in ESG-related investments. For example, there is a huge demand for technology that could improve air quality. When you add up all five factors, they explain this roughly 10 percent advantage in your cost of capital.

Above is the perspective of McKinsey’s partner in charge of sustainability investing (always an odd number of proof points from consultants, btw - it’s never 4 or 6).

1 Like

No thanks, I don’t care how many academics support it, it’s fascism.

3 Likes

It has to start with the fundamentals - Food, Water, Fuel, Medicine.

Without them, there is no system to be made.

1 Like

“Find me the bank with the worst governance, for it is here that I will deposit my money!”

Maybe HSBC will work better for you? They’re notorious for supporting money launderers.

2 Likes

Interesting.

Are you calling me a criminal?

FLz6gbAXEAoLDXd

3 Likes

ESG are just company metrics to help sustainable conscious investors choose where to invest.

I don’t understand the big deal?

Free clue

Ya no thanks watch the Black Mirror episode about a society built with a social credit score the world becomes plastic.

Screenshot 2022-02-23 142117

4 Likes

Hmm yeah. I can see how that is concerning when applied to individuals and not just companies.

I wouldn’t want individual investors being affected financially because of the companies they choose to invest in.

Fascism? Isn’t this capitalism?

Give it time.

from What is ESG (Environmental, Social & Governance)?

Increasingly there is consensus among many regulators that some form of standardized ESG disclosures will be required of publicly-traded companies on most major global stock exchanges.

1 Like

Still doesn’t seem fascistic. Ultimately its up to investors to decide who to invest in.