Energy independence

Just because they won’t tell you what the components are doesn’t mean they are harmful to the environment.

Again, just because they are fighting certain regulations does not mean they are polluting the environment. Most regulations are simply bureaucratic red tape that do nothing for the environment except cutting down a lot of trees to make paper (which is an environmentally damaging process.)

To get the oil inside safe pipelines and off the perilous railways.

1 Like

Poppycock.

Take it up with the boss.

A clown country pretending it doesn’t get its oil from Saudi Arabia.

Nope.

He’s not wrong.

Else we wouldn’t hear silly phrases like “at current rates of consumption, we have 150 years of oil left”.

And people not understanding that not all oil plays are alike because of the differentials in flow rates and the net energy we have to put into one play v another.

1 Like

Which of course led Bartlett to identify one of the great oxymorons: “sustainable growth.”

Now you are just being silly.

Anyone who claims to know the greatest shortcoming of the human race … particularly claiming it is something so obscure … is spouting poppycock.

It’s not obscure at all just because you are unaware of it. Einstein allegedly made a similar remark, but without judging the human race.

The exponential function is not obscure.

1 Like

That doesn’t answer the question. If we are energy independent then there should be no need for Canadian oil in the first place… Canada is not a part of the US.

(typo on my original post)

1 Like

They are a neighbor and preferred trade partner.

It has been said we used to like Canada.

I didn’t say otherwise. However a need for additional pipelines into the country still means we are not energy independent. We’re either energy independent or we need additional pipelines to ship in foreign oil

1 Like

Being energy independent means that the US exports more product than it consumes.

The pipeline was for refining access. Value added energy product.

So what? It’s still just one man’s opinion.

Compared to the other shortcomings of the human race? It absolutely is obscure.

To be fair, others have had their say:

http://www3.gettysburg.edu/~dperry/Class%20Readings%20Scanned%20Documents/Intro/Diamond.PDF

But this is probably to obscure for you.

First off, I did answer the question. You asked “why the huge need for Keystone and XL pipelines?” I gave you the answer … to move the oil more cheaply and more safely than by rail.

Secondly, the oil isn’t being imported because we need it, it is being transported to refineries on the Gulf for processing after which most of it will be exported. We have an agreement with Canada to do this so that they don’t have to build a pipeline to Vancouver (or ship crude by rail) for processing and export. Nothing has changed there with the cancellation of the Keystone pipeline, except that the transportation cost (which affects wellhead price) and environmental risk is increased.

Sorry, I’m not seeing anything there about the exponential function. Perhaps you could point it out.