Employee Bonuses Down Sharply After 2017 Tax Cut: What Next?

Pretty big part of the ■■■■■■■ story. Nice try though. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

From your source.

The faster growth at the bottom is probably being fueled in part by recent minimum-wage increases in cities and states across the country.

But minimum wages are only part of the story. Ernie Tedeschi, an economist at Evercore ISI, that the minimum-wage increases account for a quarter to a third of low-wage workers’ gains over the past three years. The rest is most likely a result of a tightening labor market that is forcing employers to raise pay even for workers at the bottom of the earnings ladder.

Neither of those are secondary to trickle down economics.

Of course they are, more money in the hands of business equals more money for expansion and consequently more hiring.

What? Did you not read your article?

Reasons for increased low earner wages:

1. Increase in minimum wage
  2. Tight job market

Neither of those has anything to do with trickle down economics.

Uh huh.

https://www.google.com/search?q=layoffs+reporting+record+profits&oq=layoffs+reporting+record+profits&aqs=chrome..69i57.6264j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

That’s why companies reporting record profits are also reporting massive layoffs. Trickle down.

1 Like

The data shows that isn’t what happens or is happening,

The vast majority of the windfall is going into the shareholder’s pockets, not the employees and not into expanding the business.

So what everyone said would happen…happened…somehow i think when things start to go south we are in for a world of hurt. People arent gonna blame trump either if he is out…

1 Like

Companies don’t layoff by the thousands when they’re expanding.

1 Like

Nope… time and time again, Supply Side has been shown to be a failure for the common American worker.

Sadly… I don’t think that people who believe in it will ever realize it.

Too invested.

But you just shifted the baseline.

Sshhh… we weren’t supposed to notice that.

Actually they often do… shifting from one line of business to another or closing US operation to shift work overseas.

And why oh why do you think the job market would be tightening? Why would the minimum wage need to go up? People not filling jobs because they’re not paying enough? Nah. That can’t be it. Employers are all about paying people what they’re worth, don’t you know?

Pretty sure that isn’t what either I or the poster I was responding to meant by “expanding.” Point taken though.

Well… the worth that the Employers think and the worth that the labor thinks are two very disparate numbers.

Glad I am in a Labor Union or we would get rolled.

I was making over $20/hr before I was laid off. I worked at my last employer for a little over a year. Minimum wage is $12. Competing employers now want to hire me back for the same job for $15-$17/hr. I’m sure that might have something to do with it.

Ooof… that is rough. I hope the best for you.

Glad that they got that permanent tax cut though… or something.

I’m going back to school in a couple of weeks. The semiconductor industry doesn’t look good at this point anyway. If the trade war with China doesn’t kill the jobs, moving away from silicon to compound materials will.

2 Likes

Hey at least weve got $1trillion deficits at full employment

Eh, what’s a little debt between friends?