Electric Cars are coming- no need to drill in Alaska

Yeah, you got a 100 miles or more, you’re probably finding gas.

2 Likes

Yikes. These fires are NASTY.

Who is paying for this?

2 Likes

It has been 2 days. Why are people out of fuel already? Idiots.

6 Likes

This is why there is a lot of controversy on where they are allowed to park. Imagine the difficulty if one catches fire in an indoor parking garage.

It doesn’t matter how likely they are to catch fire. Or even if they start the fire. The problem is when one does catch fire. It’s like having a bomb in your house. Who cares what sets it off? Don’t have it there in first place.

2 Likes

And a dry hotel room.

2 Likes

A sign of the times?

How do we dispose of electric cars when done, when no one wants to take them for fear of catching fire?

1 Like

That guy is interesting. He’s right about a bunch of things but some of the stuff he’s pontificated about is just wrong. Mainly his theory about how stop-start technology made your engine inherently unreliable. Which was some bull ■■■■ that discounted how differently engines work when their at operating temperature versus when they’re cold. Start stop is perfectly fine for an engine because warm starts (when the engine is hot; start stop only engages when the engine is warm) does not harm the engine in anyway.

When the engine is hot, oil is scattered around the entire lubricating surface. You don’t get dry starts in that scenario; it takes about half an hour of engine shut down for all the engine oil to drain back down into the pan. His theory was that the engine shutting off in traffic (like most modern engines) would wear on the main and rod bearings due to dry starts. Which was stupid because all the lubricating surfaces are coated with oil when the engine is warm, even if it’s shut off.

If you get a dry start with a warm engine, you’ve got more serious problems you need to look into. Like a dead oil pump or something.

Basically what I’m saying is the guy is very smart about a bunch of things. But definitely verify what he says.

Ford is ran by Monkeys so it’s unsurprising their EV plans were full of holes.

1 Like

They’re not bombs but lithium fires are notoriously difficult to put out. Mainly because of thermal runaway. You have one cell catch on fire which then heats up the surrounding cells and intensifies the fire. Even if you get one put out you can still have thermal runaway where the smoldering remains of a cell heats up surrounding cells and causes them to catch on fire suddenly, hours after you’ve extinguished the initial blaze.

They’re not pretty.

Then again, neither are gasoline fires. And I’ve seen my fair share of those. One of my friends lost two trucks to it. Then again, one of those fires was his fault. I told him when he swapped the fuel pump to do it properly and make sure it was resealed with a new lock ring. That ■■■■■■■ genius decided to just cut a hole in the bed and then not double check his seal work or put a trap door in place. Needless to say, as a cigarette smoker, the inevitable happened.

Scotty Kilmer is certainly entertaining. But he also knows his stuff.

1 Like

The battery and the starter motor and solenoid/Bendix … even the teeth on the flywheel, are all part of the engine. Each component has a finite number of cycles before it fails. The more start cycles in a period of time, the sooner those parts need replacement.

Do you mean like this?

2 Likes

To a certain extent, but they are beefed up to compensate.

What I see a lot of people doing here is buying the start stop versions of starter motors to put on their non start stop engines. Since they are more durable.

But the issue with the guy said was that it harmed the main and rod bearings. Which was patently false.

Granted I just took it that’s he really old school and the majority of motors he fooled with were solid lifter cam motors (like pre 1986 Small Block Chevys) where any oil starvation at all to the valve train is fatal. Hydraulic lifter engines are fare more robust with losses in oil pressure.

We’ve dodged a bullet … so far.

Imagine one of the EVs lighting up on a crowded ferry or in the Chunnel?

2 Likes

You are free to believe what you want, but keep in mind two things when talking about Scotty.

1. His warnings come from what he’s seen in his shop, so if he’s telling you a certain tech isn’t good, chances are he’s already seen what he’s telling you and had to fix it (or tell customers they are screwed because it’s impossible to fix).

2. He has an automotive engineering degree. So he’s probably forgotten more about this stuff than you and I together both know when it comes to cars.

Just sayin.

Not denying the guys credentials. He’s really smart and most of the time he’s made some very important point.

Personally, I don’t think start stop was the issue he saw. I think the issue with those motors was poor quality control and sand got left in the block casting. That’s a common issue on modern engines and it will prematurely wearing out bearings.

When I worked for Nissan we had way more engines than I would like to admit fail prematurely under warranty due to incorrectly casted blocks that weren’t properly cleaned afterwards. Although that was rare compared to our other problem. Grenading CVT transmissions. That was such a serious issue that I had heard about it but I didn’t understand the gravity of that situation until I worked in a shop in a Nissan dealer. We were averaging four CVTs per week and we were a tiny dealership in a town of 15,000.

I’ve also heard that the water used to put out the EV fire is contaminated.

As a toll collector I know to never buy a car with a stop start engine. Since 2019 at least a handful of cars with stop start tech didn’t restart. In a line of cars, and moving up one car length at a time, at some point the car doesn’t restart. Granted, a handful is not a lot since 2019. But it’s happening.

1 Like