Eisenhower's Warning

Co-opted from @Smyrna

How about the Medical Industrial Complex?

“[while] we recognize the imperative need for this development…We must not fail to comprehend its grave implications we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence…The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.”

7 Likes

Unwarranted influence?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/khn.org/news/article/pharma-campaign-cash-delivered-to-key-lawmakers-with-surgical-precision/amp/

4 Likes

The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.”

Fauci and the CDC - the new Pentagon?

5 Likes

Big pharm is the worst. The fact that we allow prescription drugs advertised on TV is shameful. One of those “great” new drugs nearly killed my father. He spent 4 weeks in the hospital from it.

What would “Big Pharma” be without “Big Med”?

They do go hand in hand. Pharm is allowed to market directly to consumers though.

Wait…I thought corporations (Big Pharma/Med) are persons, and money is considered free speech.

Consumers can’t write scripts.

And shame on the doctor who writes script simply because someone asks for it.

1 Like

The whole idea of governing according to what the medical institutions - even legit medical institutions - want…

Where did that come from?

3 Likes

Authoritarian high modernism

3 Likes

Big corporations will use their influence to make profits. They don’t care about environmental, political, societal consequences.

I would include agricultural. Monsanto and Purdue chicken are two big wrongdoers.

You work for a big corporation.

No interest huh?

Big Pharma spends huge amounts on ad revenue, much of it for news programming. There are also ownership connections. No wonder the media do their best to kill low-cost generic alternatives that threaten Big Pharma profits.

Eisenhower warned about the military/industrial complex but anytime anyone mentions we should rein in military spending they’re called weak and un-American.

But if there’s social spending we have to act NOW to stop the “big complexes” from overly influencing policy

Interesting…

1 Like

I say all the time the military budget should be cut in half; I don’t recall anyone calling me either.

Pfizer is better than Boeing how? Is a General worse than a Doctor? How? Is “overly influencing policy” acceptable if you agree with the industry?

Two posts, two digressions into irrelevancies.

I would say a parallel power center. Anytime you have large government spending centers there will be a symbiotic industrial complex for each.

2 Likes

Before the great society the DOD budget was the largest and logical target for profiteering. But with the great society, medicare and medicaid, suddenly healthcare is now a giant government program and influence center.

3 Likes