Eat My Body, Drink My Blood - Did Jesus Say That?

Sure, ‘splainin’ to theIr flock is a great place to start, why not.

3,600 people died and 30,000 were wounded during “The Troubles” in Ireland and Northern Ireland.

And that is just one of untold numbers of Protestant versus Catholic conflicts.

Watching this thread, not hard to see why. :smile:

1 Like

What a unifying force, eh?

People just can’t “live and let live.” People take their truth and project it as the universal truth.

It’s hard to blame them when they think god told them to. Humans and their gods, yeesh.

Are you part of the flock? Why is it anybody else’s business?

You can stake your soul on the fact that this is all made up, that is your perogative. My ignorance and you say that Paul is borrowing from Greek Mystery Religion. Give me some proof besides Jesus seminar drivel. Brant Pitre is very scholarly and he examines Jesus saying in John 6, but you don’t seem to care. He examines the words of the institution of the New Covenantal meal, all the background, but you want to bring in some ideas totally foreign to the writers of the gospels. Church Fathers, people in the first century, second century, you don’t care you draw from skeptics, not from the writers themselves. Neither the gospel writers, nor Church Fathers, nor those who went to their death over some stupid Greek mystery religion. Matthew is traditionally the first gospel and the date range can be from early as 50 AD, perhaps a little later than Paul’s writing. When Paul says he got it from the Lord, when he heard from the apostles, he heard it from the Lord. Absolutely no evidence the gospel writers just borrowed from Paul. He spent a lot of times with the apostles. When he hears from the apostles he is hearing from the Lord.
Your ignorance spouting Greek Mystery Religion is absolutely dumfounding. It is not a serious proposition but that is your gospel. If Matthew wrote in 50 AD, he preceded Paul. Absolutely no evidence that he just borrowed from Paul. If it is a little later, there is no hint that he just borrowed from Paul. You want to imagine people got thrown in the Lions den, got crucified themselves (as Peter did upside down) when lying, Ignatius, who heard from John himself, went to his death believing in the true presence of Christ, not in some stupid Babylon Mystery religion. With absolutely no evidence of anyone just borrowing from a Greek Mystery religion.

You don’t want to look at Brant Pitre, a very scholarly person, who gives a much more detailed elaboration on the meaning of Jesus words, and all the Covenantal background, not mystery Greek religion stuff. Continue to stick your head in the sand A look at John 6 in its background points to the Eucharist, but you don’t care. You want to denigrate faith in Christ, instead, all these people that believe that Jesus really said what they said He said, are ignorant, that is your perogative, go with your Jesus seminar stuff.

Now this idea that people just made up stuff about Jesus has absolutely no foundation. The Reliability of Scripture and Oral Tradition Kenneth Bailey a scholar shows that the idea that modern skeptics like you has absolutely no foundation in reality. He shows that the skeptic understanding of history is foreign to the people of the Middle East is without foundation.
but go ahead continue to stick your head in the sand. People in the first and second century went to their death with belief in the truth about Jesus, not only in the Eucharist, but on everything he did and taught, and you believe they staked all their life on borrowing from some Greek Mystery religion is sticking your head in the sand and ignorant.

I am not part of the flock. Are you saying that if you aren’t Catholic, you can’t discuss Catholic dogma?

That’s like saying the Passover Lamb was not about Christ because Christ hadn’t yet come.

Another book by Brant Pitre, Jesus and the Last Supper a detailed elaboration on this issue. Including at the look at supposed discrepancies. $3.82 only if you have a kindle. Detailed elaboration on the issue for those who really care about this issue.

From Amazon including reviews
https://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Last-Supper-Brant-Pitre-ebook/product-reviews/B01AJ5P00K
Goes through the Last Supper in historical detail.

If you’re here to learn something, that’s one thing.

You’re here to throw rocks.

Another poster brought up the legacy of the Reformation, and I was reacting to that post. I won’t deliberately throw “rocks.” Sorry. I think everybody could learn a great deal from each other here.

But have you considered the lack of a calendar in those times? Something to try: You may not use a calendar to tell me the dates your grandparents were born or married. Without having Google or an Encyclopedia to look anything up, tell me of a historical event that occurred around that time.

If a person wrote under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, he wouldn’t need a calendar.

Doubtful a crucifixion would have occurred during a high holiday. Therefore some surmise that Passover that might have fallen on the Sabbath that year; that Jesus died on Friday, was in the tomb during Passover/Sabbath…

No one knows. As I said earlier, people did not use calendars back then, and relied on memories to let people know what was going on around the time Jesus was put to death.

Or perhaps the Holy Spirit knew the exact date wasn’t all that important? Do you truly need dates to line up perfectly before you can believe? People back then didn’t.

If Matthew and Luke gave different dates that differ by 8 years or more, one or both of them wrote false information.

There are plenty of contradictions that have nothing to do with a calendar.

What did the women do after they found the tomb empty?
Mark says they “said nothing to anyone”.
The other Gospels said they went and told the disciples.

The Ascension
Luke says the Ascension took place in Bethany on the same day as the resurrection.
Acts says it took place on Mt. Olivet forty days after the resurrection.
They can’t both be true. One or both are in error.

Where was the Holy Spit it to allow this?

If a person wants to find reasons to reject the bible, he will.

I believe:

Christ was born.
Christ died.
Christ was resurrected.
Christ ascended.

Do you disagree with these basic facts?

I agree with them.
I believe:
Christ was born.
Christ died.
Christ was resurrected.
Christ ascended.
I also believe Christ was the divine Son of God and He died to remove my sins.
I also believe the Bible was written by men who made mistakes. None of the mistakes I have found effect my salvation, so I am good with it.
I strongly believe that people who claim the Bible is inerrant are wrong and they hurt the cause more than help it.