Early 2019 ACA premium filings show double-digit hikes

I agree. Trump has failed on this as well as every other Republican. There is no plan except to discredit and remove the current one. Trump’s attempt to lower pharmaceutical costs is spot on though. Both sides of the aisle should be attempting to lower the cost of healthcare by addressing the forces driving them up. President Obama just chose to spread the costs and that’s not the answer but neither is doing nothing as the Rs have done. They’ve bitched for years but have done NOTHING.

1 Like

I think price controls were part of Obamacare weren’t they? And even some of the hardcore conservative critics admitted that repealing Obamacare without a replacement would actually be worse than having Obamacare.

And yeah you guys pay insane prices for pharma.

But given that pharma stocks actually went up when the Trump admin announced it’s plan to lower costs, I am somewhat skeptical as to whether or not it’s going to do jack ■■■■■

Didn’t Trump make a point of saying how dumb it was that the US Govt couldn’t negotiate prices for medicaid drugs during the campaign? What happened there?

Two of the largest contributors to the cost of our healthcare is that the number one profession of our politicians prior to becoming a career politician was being a lawyer.

I’d think the pharma lobbying power is a rather larger part of the problem.

Look at how Trump 180’d on medicare being able to negotiate for lower prices, what do you think happened there?

Have you ever noticed the ads from lawyers that follow the pharmaceutical commercials?

I know republicans on the ACA. I’m very curious to see how they react.

Here’s what will be fantastic. Trump insists–and I quote:

“ObamaCare is finished. It’s dead. It’s gone. You shouldn’t even mention it, it’s gone. There is no such thing as ObamaCare anymore.”

But Obamacare needs to be totally blamed for any problems, so . . .

1 Like

According to forbes ACA in and of itself caused significant increases in premiums for healthcare (outside of employer sponsered plans).

Overall, Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) premiums actually decreased 4.6% in the four years before the ACA reforms came into effect (that is, from 2009 to 2013), but increased 46.4% in the first four years under the ACA. Point-of-Service (POS) premiums decreased 14.9% before the ACA, and increased a whopping 66.2% afterwards. Premiums for the more common Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) plans increased 15% in the four years before the ACA, and 66.2% afterwards.

Aritical date March 22, 2017. So when this article was published, it was 2 month into The Don’s administration. So don’t blam The Don for the stat’s in this article. Blame Obama and the ACA.