Drunk Driving Deaths

That is absolutely awful. I’m so sorry about your son. I have 2 of them myself and stories like yours keep me worried about their safety on the road. I think drunk drivers who kill someone should be charged with murder, and first offense drunk drivers who are just pulled over should get at least 1 year in jail, not out on bail. The leniency on drunk drivers is why they repeat.

2 Likes

It’s all addicts. All they care about is their next shot, their next hit, or banging their next needle.

They don’t care about who they destroy in the process.

They are dregs of society.

2 Likes

It’s a disease. At least the way I view it

https://americanaddictioncenters.org/alcoholism-treatment/symptoms-and-signs/hereditary-or-genetic

“Addiction is a chronic disease of the brain, affecting the reward and motivation centers, and for decades, scientists have argued about the genetic and hereditary components of addiction.”

It however doesn’t absolve the criminal in any way. This guy 100% deserves the max penalty.

Allan

Alcoholism may he a disease but drunk driving is not…

I have driven drunk… honestly dont know guys in their 50’s who haven’t when they were younger… it was always both hands on the wheel, barely doing the speed limit and all your limited concentration on the road…

There is a difference between driving carefully to get home and driving recklessly while drunk…

I’m not sure.

I really believe whether one changes or not depends on the convicted:

Obviously Reggie Stephey made a horrible mistake drinking with friends and killed several fellow teens.

However, he participated with the now late Jacqueline Saburido in anti drunk driving campaigns and doesn’t appear to have reoffended.

A former neighbor of mine served his time (DUI manslaughter) served a light sentence, yet obeyed the terms of his Cinderella license and let fellow AA members take him to meetings. To the best of my knowledge, he remained clean.

If an addict doesn’t want to get sober, he/she won’t, light sentence or stern. It appears the man who killed your son does not want to change his behavior, though, and should not be a part of free society.

The person who killed my son has finally been convicted. Second degree murder.

3 Likes

Good.

1 Like

It’s .08 acceptable legally. Socially, a small amount isn’t even a disturbance in most people’s minds.

I’d worry more about the 85 year old woman behind a wheel than some young dude driving after 1 beer.

I’m sure you will never get over this tragedy, but I sincerely hope that permits you to find closure and peace.

5 Likes

I am so sorry for such an agonizing loss. My heart goes out to you. :hugs: :heart:

I hope you and your family find peace and this individual has a long time to think about his actions.

I post this here to remind people that this is a 100% preventable crime. Get a ride. Don’t think you are okay.
I will spend the rest of my life desperately missing my son. Don’t do that to another mother.

2 Likes