Donald Trump goes after Joe Biden's speech impediment

This is not the first time, he’s equated speech disfluency with low IQ. He did the same thing with Seth Myers.

Here’s what the NSA (National Stuttering Association) had to say:

NSA’s article

Media reports indicate that Biden misspoke about his looming decision whether he will seek the Democratic nomination for president in 2020.

President Trump wrote that Biden was “unable to properly deliver a very simple line,” and referred to Biden as “another low I.Q. individual.”

Biden, who previously served as a keynote speaker at the 2004 NSA Annual Conference, is open about discussing his experiences with stuttering.

Rhetoric that perpetuates false information about stuttering – such as that used in President Trump’s tweet – diminishes the successes of people who stutter and reduces stuttering to fabricated predictor of their ability to achieve.

What does everything think about this?

Full disclosure. I have had a speech impediment since I was 4 years old and went through at least 18 years worth of therapy.

My NSA organization is not happy about Trump’s tweet, and they are correct: Fumbling on words does not make somebody dumb or low IQ.

As for me, I don’t Trump meant to go after people with speech impediments or consider them “low IQ” or “dumb”. I think he just wanted to engage in political theater, and failed to comprehend that his words can be seen as hateful, harmful, or enhance false stereotypes.

I really don’t want to hear about speech equaling intelligence from someone who speaks at like a 5th grade level.

10 Likes

He has the best words.

He doesn’t care whatsoever whether it’s true or not that someone with speech difficulties (which I didn’t know Biden had) therefore has low intelligence…it’s just another way to bully and discredit an opponent. He’s actually expressed disappointment that Biden might not run because for sure he’s spent time creating derogatory nicknames for him. He can’t wait to do it.

For God’s sake, he openly mocked a reporter with a physical disability on the national stage. If people choose to ignore what a despicable human being he is, that’s on them.

Trump has the bigliest words.

2 Likes

Is there a link to what Biden said? Its difficult to tell from the OP that Biden’s problem here was stuttering. I would have to hear what he said to know what Trump was talking about.

It should have been obvious – I thought it would be obvious – but I would like to clarify, just in case it wasn’t. In a key sentence in my remarks, I said the word “would” instead of “wouldn’t.” The sentence should have been: I don’t see any reason why I wouldn’t – or why it wouldn’t be Russia. So just to repeat it, I said the word “would” instead of “wouldn’t.” And the sentence should have been – and I thought it would be maybe a little bit unclear on the transcript or unclear on the actual video – the sentence should have been: I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t be Russia. Sort of a double negative. So you can put that in, and I think that probably clarifies things pretty good by itself.

Trump is unable to deliver very simple lines even when they are very important. Low I.Q.

Should a person with a speech impediment be President of the United States? I think we can do better.

Trump is a terrible person.

2 Likes

You’re really gonna defend Trump here?

Does it matter whether the misstatement was because Biden stutters or not?

Are these the kinds of things you want your President saying about people?

What’s the word for reflexive defensiveness?

1 Like

I like Presidential candidates that don’t stutter. I will only vote for someone who has the best words.

3 Likes

I see libs playing the victim again…

He didn’t go after Biden’s speech impediment, he went after Biden’s “brain” impediment.

Nice.
Classy.

No. I merely asked if the OP was sure of the facts and could provide evidence.
Is wanting the facts so bad?

Quoted for the irony of both the person who posted this and that he supports the guy who wants to investigate those who “pick on him”.

6 Likes

Typical projection by Donald, trying to distract from his own deficiencies by labeling others with them.

It’s a crooked, lying, dopey, lil’ tactic.

Biden didn’t stutter…he misspoke.

Still was a low class act by a low class human being.

But I’m sure we have to make sure we don’t lie when we call him out for his low class acts…which I’m sure you’ll still defend anyway.

Its sad to not be able to see the ethical difference between criticizing someone for what they said and mocking someone for stuttering.

On an irony scale of 1 to 10, I’d say this post is about a 25.

2 Likes