Donald Trump and Joseph McCarthy

I have been recently watching a lot of old kinescopes of Edward R. Murrow and his confrontations with Sen. Joseph McCarthy. I also recently saw the superb movie “good night and good luck” that dramatized that era. (It’s one I highly recommend, by the way.)

What is scary is how much Trump resembles McCarthy and how little apparently his followers realize the damage Trump is causing. McCarthy was a blowhard and it was very fortunate that his blustering came in an era when honesty was prized. That doesn’t appear to be the case now as Trump’s blustering is so celebrated by his followers.

Another aspect of the McCarthy story was the outstanding work of Murrow to expose him. It’s the same type of reporting being done by the New York Times, Washington Post, CNN, NBC and others to expose Trump. Murrow was criticized then as the press is now. Fortunately, that criticism didn’t stop him. The press won’t stop either. And they shouldn’t.

I have no doubt Trump will be exposed no matter how much he blusters and how much his sycophants defend him, I also believe, as Jon Meacham says in his latest book, that this democracy will survive the battering it is currently taking.

In his commentaries on his series “See It Now” (a precursor to ‘60 Minutes’), Murrow said some very wise things, such as “We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home” and “No one can terrorize a whole nation, unless we are all his accomplices.”

Maybe it’s time we looked back at his statements and paid a little more attention to them and the reporting that’s going on in his name now.

1 Like

It’s interesting how influential McCarthy’s cretinous little sidekick and chief counsel, Roy Cohn, was on Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/former-mccarthy-aide-showed-trump-how-to-exploit-power-and-draw-attention/2016/06/16/e9f44f20-2bf3-11e6-9b37-42985f6a265c_story.html?utm_term=.9674e47192f5

Trump’s been asking explicitly, “Where’s my Roy Cohn?”

1 Like

Libs … reinventing history.

McCarthy saw communists and Russians everywhere. He saw that as a threat to the nation. He used that as a political weapon… just like libs today.

1 Like

One other Murrow quote that has some relevance to today: “The real crucial link in the international exchange is the last three feet, which is bridged by personal contact, one person talking to another.”

Funny thing that.

You were right until the last four words. Trump calling immigrants criminals. Kidnapping children from their parents and then not returning them – or mentally scarring these kids forever. If you believe in Judgment Day, a few people in government today will have some things to answer to.

Trump uses his supporters hate of liberals as a political weapon.

Sessions in particular is in for a very rude awakening on that day.

You should be worried about “judgement day” as well since Trump NEVER called all immigrants criminals he called all illegal aliens criminals which they are whether its seeking asylum “illegally” or a first time misdemeanor offender or a second time felony offender, so it all comes out as “criminal”, so there’s one falsehood aka LIE that won’t get past St. Peter!

The charge of “kidnapper” is also a WHOPPER that won’t get you through the pearly gates, and ditto for not returning kids to their ILLEGAL alien parents. Oh you’re in deep do-do with St Peter that’s for sure and you will never get in front of “the judge”!!

1 Like

Do libs even believe in judgement day?

I thought that for libs, it would be an al dente test of their spaghetti.

I guess you were sleep when Allan West said there were 20 to 30 democrats that were communist in Congress huh

Trump supporters obviously don’t. Not with the way they completely ditched all of their principles in defending him.

1 Like

I guess you are right. I broke a few myself. We Trump supporters are bound for hell.

I’m not a big believer in blogs, but that’s funny.

And you left your Wiki open, sik.

LOL. 10 chars

The irony of his post is lost on him. [quote=“Sknyluv, post:7, topic:8637, full:true”]

Trump uses his supporters hate of liberals as a political weapon.
[/quote]

Know anything about Mccarthy?

Trump isn’t the one holding hearings. Trump haters are.

1 Like

Well, the threat was real. What kick started the whole McCarthy thing was a plot between American Communist and the Russian Communist to violently overthrow the US Government. I think that would warrant an investigation to weed out potential threats within the government. What Murrow did was cut it short before the threats could be weeded out.

Hello friend.
Who is PSB?

“Have you now, or have you ever met with a Russian?” McCarthy would have asked that question.

The left is leading this red hunt, not Trump. And you have political prisoner being tortured in an inquisition by big govt. Perfect leftist history. Repeats over and over.