Donald Trump and Elizabeth Warren’s different visions of corruption in America

The Joker left in January 2017. :+1:

No, Paul Ryan didn’t leave until the following year. But we were talking about Trump.

Yeah, and if Obama wins in 2012 Ted Nugent will go into exile or go to jail. We’ve heard this before

1 Like

I can some this up in two sentences: Warren is basically Henry Wallace. Trump is Al Capone in federal office, not cool Capone either, post Alacatraz Capone when tertiary syphilis had eaten half his brain out.

1 Like

Interesting how quickly this discussion shifted from the original premise – the very different definitions provided by Trump and Warren regarding corruption to a series of discussions fretting about Warren’s positions on taxes and guns.

Anyone care to come back to the OP or are we done?

1 Like

But between post-Alcatraz Capone and Henry Wallace, whom would your rather have a beer with?

2 Likes

They were both pretty interesting guys in their own way. Wallace tried and failed to carry on the New Deal policies. Capone ran the biggest bootlegging syndicate in the Midwest and owned a couple of small cities with an IQ of like 75.

In the gangster world I think Meyer Lansky would have made a more interesting conversationalist. Maybe meet for pastrami at Katz’s on Houston Street?

I knew someone who owned a bakery in New Jersey where Lucky Luciano was a regular visitor. :slight_smile:

Sounds like she’s copying Trump

“WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump acted Saturday to fulfill a key portion of his pledge to “drain the swamp” in Washington, banning administration officials from ever lobbying the U.S. on behalf of a foreign government and imposing a separate five-year ban on other lobbying.”

1 Like

Rita and Joe’s in Jersey City – great local place – closed a few years ago after the founders passed away. But it was two blocks from a site featured in The Soprano’s opening montage and it was a great place to take people so that they could feel like they were in.a Soprano’s episode. I miss that place.

And Umberto’s Clam House in Little Italy NYC has survived for decades off the fact that Joey Gallo was murdered there.

Warren likes big brother…

" Why is an agency created only a few years ago as a component of the Federal Reserve invading the financial privacy of millions of Americans? The answer is found in Warren’s academic advocacy.

Behavioral economics requires mega-helpings of data – called “evidence-based research” – on which to base the government’s financial regulatory policies.

Warren, a Massachusetts Democrat, aggressively lobbied President Obama, other federal policymakers and the mainstream media to embrace behavioral economics. Key to that effort was a law review article, “ Making Credit Safer: The Case for Regulation,” which she co-wrote with New York University law professor Oren Bar-Gill."

I remember when Trump proposed that but there was not follow-through. I wonder if Warren will follow through. Her issue positions tend to be more constant than Trump’s.

Huh? Did you read the first line of the story…?

"President Donald Trump acted Saturday to fulfill a key portion of his pledge to “drain the swamp”

I thought Katz’s closed down. To your point though, absolutely, Meyer Lansky is tied for the top two genius-level gangsters in American history. Despite being a Jew he essentially ran the national Mafia from Lucky Luciano’s incarceration until Appalachian in ‘57 and as far as I know is the only American gangster to ever take control of an entire nation, Cuba, before Castro.

The other one, if you’re curious, is Tony “Joe Batters” Accardo, who was the boss of the Chicago Outfit for fifty, sixty years and never spent a single night in jail-let alone prison-in an era where the Outfit ran every mob family west of the Mississippi.

But he did not follow through. Most of the R’s who have lost seats in Congress have gone right into lobbying. There’s a huge difference between Trump announcing he is going to do something and actually doing it. If Trump followed through, Mexico would be paying for the wall, Obamacare would have been replaced by something they covered everyone, cost less and provided better coverage, and he would have released his tax returns. Anyone who watches the man in action knows to assess what he has done, not what he has promised.

1 Like

Obama and Warren show little in common in economic policies.

It doesn’t seem like the two had a good relationship.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/magazine/amp/story/2019/09/12/warren-obama-2020-228068

Did any of that say she intends to “confiscate” anyones guns?

How is a Federal Licensing system any different than the Federal ID many folks on the Right want to just vote?

The Federal Government grants the Right to Bear arms why shouldn’t they have the right to license them?

I was referring to Obama of course.

Katz’s is still there and if you want more cholesterol in your life there are few finer places to get it!