Does the Mueller report open with a lie?

I was listening to Rush Limbaugh a few days ago and he included this statement about the beginning of the Mueller report that describes the origin of the investigation into the Trump campaign:

. . . the first line of the Mueller report is a lie, that the investigation began when George Papadopoulosgot drunk at a bar and told the ambassador from Australia that the Russians had dirt on Hillary Clinton. That’s not when it began.

Rush goes onto describe the real origin of the Mueller investigation as opposition research supported by the DNC and the Clinton campaign. Here is a brief excerpt form the Federalist article Rush references:

At a certain point, it can’t be mere coincidence that every major figure involved in probing Trump’s campaign is linked to Hillary Clinton in some manner. Christopher Steele was “desperate” to prevent Trump from becoming president and was paid $160,000 by Democrats before he compiled his infamous dossier. DNC lawyers met with FBI officials before a surveillance warrant was granted, raising questions as to why the FBI would meet with a political party’s counsel, yet not inform Trump his campaign was under investigation. Fusion GPS, the firm that hired Steele, was paid by money from Hillary Clinton and the DNC, funneled through a law firm, to compile the Steele dossier.

Was the basis for the surveillance and multiyear investigation of the Trump campaign really opposition research from Democrats?

Rush claims that Mueller is refusing to testify before congress because he knows that Republicans will grill him on these kinds of questions. Is that what is really going on?

The dossier was started by Republicans during the primaries.

Where does Rush get his information about Mueller testifying?

1 Like

Rush is wrong about this.

The FBI investigation into the Trump campaign started with Papadopolulous.

There is no way to get around that fact.

3 Likes

I don’t think Rush as read the Mueller report.
Here is the first page of the report. It’s got Papadopolulous’ name all over it. Please read it.

4 Likes

Why did you stop there? The “dossier” was started as opposition research by the The Washington Free Beacon, a conservative entity. Therefore, why do you think conservatives started the Mueller investigation?

It’s almost like it is Groundhog Day when sharing this information.

1 Like

Here is a link on Mueller refusing to testify:

The Steele dossier was funded by Democrats. Whether Fusion GPS did opposition research for a Republican does not change that.

For background in the dossier see:

People who refuse to read the report are easy to fool about what is in the report…

11 Likes

have you read the report?

1 Like

If the opening statement about origin of the investigation is a lie, then what basis there to believe other statements?

ah. Okay. So “no”.

1 Like

It isn’t a lie.

So you don’t have to worry about the other stuff.

2 Likes

In a similar vein one should ask “in the obstruction of justice accusation by libs, what was the justice that was obstructed?”

A legitimate investigation? No.

I looked and looked for the pee with hookers part and… I couldn’t find it. Please … since you are an expert tell me where on the report I can find that.

Bet you won’t find it in the FISA application either. That’s all.

Search for the word “tapes”

Rush told him so. That’s all he needs. Why should he bother reading it when he can just have someone else tell him what to think? That’s much more efficient than having to read, fact check, and come up with your own educated conclusions.

10 Likes

Yeah… it’s in the first 30 pages if I remember correctly.

People really should read the thing.

3 Likes

Today I realized how much I missed Jon Stewart.

5 Likes

False. Steele wasn’t even hired until after the Democrats had taken over. The Republican mag just did regular opposition research and had nothing to do with the dossier or Steele.