Does God No Longer Condemn Sin?

It seems so, it seems there is a new way of looking at God…

It’s OK to involve yourself in any sin, unrepentant, & all is well… Many “Churches” are OK with adultery, homosexuality, partying, carousing, self-will, & falsehood. It seems anything now goes, do whatever you like & God will let it all slide…
I disagree, but not because I just want to judge or condemn. It’s just Scripture does not teach that. He does forgive, but He cannot forgive the deliberate unrepentant.
There IS right & wrong:

Isaiah 5 New King James Version (NKJV)
Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness;
Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes,
And prudent in their own sight!

2 Peter 2 New King James Version (NKJV)
Destructive Doctrines
2 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction. 2 And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed. 3 By covetousness they will exploit you with deceptive words; for a long time their judgment has not been idle, and their destruction [a]does not slumber.

Doom of False Teachers
4 For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to [b]hell and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment; 5 and did not spare the ancient world, but saved Noah, one of eight people, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood on the world of the ungodly; 6 and turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah into ashes, condemned them to destruction, making them an example to those who afterward would live ungodly; 7 and delivered righteous Lot, who was oppressed by the filthy conduct of the wicked 8 (for that righteous man, dwelling among them, tormented his righteous soul from day to day by seeing and hearing their lawless deeds)— 9 then the Lord knows how to deliver the godly out of temptations and to reserve the unjust under punishment for the day of judgment, 10 and especially those who walk according to the flesh in the lust of uncleanness and despise authority. They are presumptuous, self-willed. They are not afraid to speak evil of [c]dignitaries, 11 whereas angels, who are greater in power and might, do not bring a reviling accusation against them before the Lord.

Depravity of False Teachers
12 But these, like natural brute beasts made to be caught and destroyed, speak evil of the things they do not understand, and will utterly perish in their own corruption, 13 and will receive the wages of unrighteousness, as those who count it pleasure to [d]carouse in the daytime. They are spots and blemishes, [e]carousing in their own deceptions while they feast with you, 14 having eyes full of [f]adultery and that cannot cease from sin, enticing unstable souls. They have a heart trained in covetous practices, and are accursed children…

17 These are wells without water, [g]clouds carried by a tempest, for whom is reserved the blackness of darkness [h]forever.
Deceptions of False Teachers
18 For when they speak great swelling words of emptiness, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through lewdness, the ones who [i]have actually escaped from those who live in error. 19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are slaves of [j]corruption; for by whom a person is overcome, by him also he is brought into [k]bondage. 20 For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning. 21 For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them. 22 But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: “A dog returns to his own vomit,” and, “a sow, having washed, to her wallowing in the mire.”

1 Like

Self will?

Isaiah may capture it best. Paraphrasing one verse he writes that some of what humans call “good” is like filthy rags in the sight of God. What was true in his day is true throughout history, including our own day.

It is not so much judging as choosing what one’s own ideals will be built upon: The ideals of God or the ideals of man. Those who choose to aim for the ideals of God are often (rightfully) accused of fussing over what is going on in the world and in the hearts of mankind–not because we wish to judge them, but because the world’s next generation so badly needs models from the current generation.

That is not what Isaiah 64:6 says.

1 Like

"The sin of the century is the loss of the sense of sin. " – Pope Pius XII

A lot of people think that when they drink their little wine, and have their little cracker, that it’s a form of asking for forgiveness.

I don’t know, it’s what I heard.

4 Likes

You shouldn’t spread hearsay.

What does it say?

Your post title is incorrect.

You’re not asking - Does God no longer condemn sin.
You’re asking - Do churches tell their followers that God no longer condemns sin?

Because if there is a God, of course he’ll condemn sin.

The popular Christian corruption of this verse is that anything we do that is good, God sees as worthless. Like filthy rags. A closer reading shows isaiah is telling his people that THEY view sling good like filthy rags and have stopped doing good. The whole passage is calling the Israelites to return to doing good.

1 Like

I agree, God does condemn sin. The OP was to point out your basic point, that many churches tell their followers that God no longer condemns sin. Thank you for your post!

Your pet poops on the floor. Do you “condemn” it?

It’s to be expected, even in the most well-trained pets.

1 Like

The straight, pure path is narrow in it’s entry. Most give up or cry “sour grapes.”

The pure straight Supreme Law of Cause and Effect is strict. One can lessen the sin, but expiating karma and attain Buddhahood requires strict practice.

I dont condemn all of its future puppies and puppy’s puppies and so on

Churches for many are like the news they watch or the internet sites they choose to go to for information. They want their feelings and desires validated.

Several years a Gallup poll noted that of people who attend church, most say they are there for spiritual growth, guidance, and inspiration. Directly on the heels of this is to worship God.

The question, “Does God no Longer Condemn Sin?” only covers the bare bones. God does more than just condemn sin and move on. He forgives sin, helps us to obliterate it from our lives, and replace it with faith, love, and joy. This is a life-long task–at least for most of us. For grace, strength, help, and guidance we pray and attend church. We worship God because He is our help and our redeemer as we journey through this life.

If you are minimizing these puppy’s bad karma, you are barking up the wrong tree.

1 Like

I noticed that you left out repentance and ask forgiveness.

Lots of people go to church and still practice sin.

1 Like

Repentance is turning from sin, and obliterate covers that, wouldn’t you say? Are you of the mind that God’s forgiveness of sin does not entail entreating God?

And, lots of people are cynics, not to mention judgmental of why others do something. I have also noticed that lots of people accuse others of what they themselves practice.

No repentance means stopping it yourself and turning from, it is a key part in getting forgiveness.

I tend to judge people by their words and deeds. My maple tree may tell everyone that will listen it is an apple tree but if it does not produce apples it will never be known as an apple tree.