Do you consider this a disturbing trend?

Well, if that’s your criteria nothing should ever worry us. 5 billion people haven’t died from COVID, guns, Russia, etc so I guess that validates my opinion on masks, gun laws, and the Russian threat.

Modern thinking is wrong in my opinion, it’s not a disease. That’s a word they use when they want to make the addict not responsible for his choices. My wife used to work at a prison and they had a pretty decent rate of taking in addicts (non-violent) that were there for 1st or 2nd offense. They spent 9 months with them in their program, then discharged them to a safe living house for 6 months. They had a 70% success rate. I would agree that help where we can but this is part of not coddling them. They had real consequences to their actions and they were told drugs are a choice, not a damn disease. You empower people into thinking they control the drug and not the other way around rather than convincing them that they’re helpless and it’s just a disease that they can’t control.

1 Like

I kind of assumed that was the game which is why I answered how I did. :wink:

1 Like

Yea because isolated acts of assault are just the same as those things you list.

See what i mean? Hysteria. You are comparing a few assaults to covid and gun deaths.

Btw guns don’t kill people.

The point of framing it as a disease is not to absolve the individual of any personal responsibility for recovery or agency. Far from it. I’m sure there are people here with experience in AA (to take one example) who could explain it better than I can.

I myself don’t have first hand knowledge of addiction, however I have been in group therapy
With addicts. Yikes. The stories I could tell…

Allan

Thing is, though, it’s not isolated. Let’s not diminish what’s going on in our society.

I get the point. I don’t agree with it. I’ve dealt with addicts over the years and they will stop at nothing to blame others for their issues. ONLY when they take responsibility do they push through to the other side.

4 Likes

I understand: it’s maddening to deal with addicts. I just wanted to note that the disease-model of addiction (whatever we think of it) does not absolve the individual from responsibility any more than, say, a diabetes diagnosis absolves a person from managing medications and diet. That’s all.

I’m not making any declaration one way or the other. Over the past year or so I’ve read and posted in other threads similar articles which involved perpetrators who were quite young.

Yes…You even voted for that man.

He’s stereotyping his “own people” :rofl:

So how is that working out for you? Now I’m not saying you’re wrong because I tend to agree with you…have you seen places like Seattle and San Fransisco?

Me personally. No much either way.

The person who is getting help instead of prison bars. Wonderfully.

Allan

Roughly 54% of the children living in Boston live in single-parent homes. 62.1% of children in the age range of the children that committed this crime are from single-parent homes. Odds are in his favor though it’s not a slam dunk.

1 Like

Grownups think they can get by with it these days too thanks to the defund the police libs along with prosecutors that refuse to prosecute crimes.

I suspect a lot more citizens are carrying these days just in case.

1 Like

Only because they aren’t testing for cognitive ability.

Mmmmmm

I can agree with that, it’s just that my experience has been doctors blaming the drugs and not the person. To be fair, they do the same thing on occasion with diabetes. They just prescribe pills and shots and ignore the fact that a lot of cases of diabetes can be largely treated with diet and exercise.

4 Likes

This person is older than my primary focus but I find the social media aspect appropriate for my purpose here:

MSN