Do you consider this a disturbing trend?

There’s an easy way to stay out of prison for a drug related crime. Stay away from drugs. Don’t blame society for the failings of the individual. It’s well established that most drugs are illegal. We can talk about legalization of some drugs and I would tend to agree with that path but what we cannot argue about is whether or not you should go to jail for violating the law and whether or not it’s Johnny Law’s fault or YOUR fault. Sorry, the whole race thing is just ignorance. My nephew threw a fit because he was arrested and given a suspended sentence for having meth and pot on him. He said it was because he was black. I said, Well, maybe it was because you had illegal substances on you. His statement was that it shouldn’t be illegal, and again, I shot back with “Neither should a full auto rifle but if I get caught with one without the proper license, I’m going to prison.”… I’m sick of making excuses for people that break the law. Jail is pretty damn easy to stay out of. I’m no rocket surgeon but I’ve managed to stay out of jail, of course I’ve never bought or sold drugs.

2 Likes

Well, I don’t agree with your assessment on the Heritage Foundation methodology but we can disagree, that’s ok. That said, did you read the study?

As to correlation/causation, sometimes it DOES apply. There is zero question that communities with higher single parent households have MUCH higher violent crime rates. The reason is very simply the lack of discipline. While these mothers are doing their job and staying with the child and raising them, it’s just extremely hard to raise a kid, especially a boy, by yourself. That’s no slap at the mother, it’s actually a slap at the absent fathers.

There are dozens of studies, articles and surveys out there that prove the link between single parent households and higher violent crime rates.

https://www.ojp.gov/ncjrs/virtual-library/abstracts/child-abuse-and-violence-single-parent-families-parent-absence-and
https://scholarworks.waldenu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=9882&context=dissertations

It’s certainly not the ONLY indicator or cause of crime but it’s definitely a major factor.

What do you mean by discipline?

Just say no, huh.

I wish addictions were that easy.

Reality, of course is different from Nancy Reagan land.

Allan

Well sentencing laws designed to provide harsher punishment on one drug vs a similar drug did not help either.

That change alone swept many black fathers into the system that otherwise would not have been if they used cocaine instead of crack.

What does being black have to do with selling drugs and going to prison for it?

Should someone get a free pass because they are black and broke the law?

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

2 Likes

We’d have to look at this in the context of aggregate youth violence, whether at the city/local or national level.

As with violent crime generally, it has (again, generally) decreased over the last few decades: for example, lots of researchers were looking at it in relation to video games (which, it turns out, don’t cause violent behavior). Is there data to suggest that it’s actually increasing significantly? Coincidentally, I moved to the Boston area around the time that violent crime was peaking.

So because a bunch of leftists regard it as “right wing hysteria” it proves you right? I did read the articles.

I didn’t say it was an easy answer but it’s certainly the RIGHT answer. We need to stop coddling people and convincing them that society is to blame rather than it being their actions that caused the prison term. To be fair, these days you pretty much have to be an idiot to end up going to jail for drugs. My nephew has had 6 chances now… and STILL hasn’t been given jail time beyond sitting there for a day or two waiting on a judge.

Are you asking what methods I employed on my kids? Taking away privileges. Encouraging and rewarding positive behavior. The death stare (my son often references it as it terrified him and pretty much still does at 25). A quick swat on the tail end to get their attention when they were a bit younger. Never punched one, never left a bruise.

If you’re asking do I believe in abuse, then I’d suggest that’s a stupid question. There’s a definitive difference between discipline and abuse. Most of the time with a child, the male presence and understanding of their ability to win a physical fight is plenty. My son once yelled at his mom and got in her face. I walked into the room (he didn’t know I was home) and got about 6" from his face and calmly asked him to repeat what he just said… then I explained to him how it would go next time he threatened my wife. His hormones were getting the best of him but just the threat of having to face me was plenty to put him in check. Had I not been part of his life, I guarantee he would have a different outlook. He and I laugh about it today and he jokes about being able to beat me up but like I told him long ago, when you have the ability, you’ll have enough respect and brain power to not want to… He still has a ways to go to have the ability but he has the brain power not to want to already. :smiley:

2 Likes

A better comparison would be meth and crack and sometime, go look at the sentencing between those two drugs. Keep in mind, most meth addicts and dealers are white. Crack is smoked while cocaine is typically snorted. Smoking means it’s a faster high and more addictive according to WebMD. While it’s the same drug, crack is more harmful due to how it’s taken.

That said, I’m of the mind that we shouldn’t prosecute use or possession. We should only prosecute you if you’ve managed to infringe on the rights of another human being. If you’re smoking crack while watching a child, you go to jail for child endangerment and same goes for cocaine. Most drug arrests that lead to incarceration aren’t simple possession though.

1 Like

Disagree. Modern thinking has addiction as a disease and the person needs help not prison.

Opioid addition is particularly insidious.

Allan

He didn’t say THESE CHILDREN were in that category.

He was stating a statistical fact, and commenting on a troubling trend in our societal composition.

Helpful hint: When libs around here ask for stuff like that, it’s to find something you say that they can twist and submerge you in a pissing contest. Therefore, giving personal info is supplying them with mud they can throw at you. Tread with caution.

6 Likes

I’m always curious about the relationship between this information and perceptions of crime/youth violence over time.

Maybe some do. Others don’t. No need to preemptively condition new members and their expectations like that. They’ll find out we’re all lunatic dorks soon enough.

1 Like

No not proves me right that the argument wasn’t that it was a myth but that it was hysteria. I was right because the articles were from ten years ago and the world don’t collapse into violence and roving kid gangs.

Yea that was the answer i was looking for.

Discipline also means structure. That’s what you just described

You are right.

2 Likes

Yep. Newbies will figure it out. The Sean hannity forum isn’t a echo chamber for righties.

He encourages dissenting opinions with his forum.

Allan