Do millennials really know who and what they're really voting for?

They are stagnant. Wages are not keeping pace with the increase in inflation and haven’t done so since the late 70s.

I’m not bitching about it. It’s a different world today. If there’s one thing humans are good at its adaptation.

I work hard as hell. I’m confident that I’ll do ok. My fiancé is a hard worker as well and she’s doubling her income next year once she graduates; I doubled mine back in March with a promotion. As long as we are smart with investments and avoid having kids, we will do ok in the end.

Especially since we both will have opportunities to go higher in our careers.

I’m not terribly fond of being lectured by people who grew up when a single income blue collar household could own a house outright by the time they were forty, have two cars in the driveway, raise two kids and put them both through college without going into massive debt.

2 Likes

I disagree. I think generations cycle. Gen X was not as liberal as the Baby Boomers (and both groups, for the most part, got more conservative with age). I think the latest gen (the post-Millenial Gen Z (for lack of a better term)) is both more liberal and more conservative than the Millenials–they are more pragmatic and interested in adulting.

Well, you might be right generationally about voters, but not so much about leaders. The GOP’s leaders, for the most part, are younger than the Dem’s leaders. Think about the last Dem speaker of the House versus the current Republican Speaker of the House.

My granddad had his house and 66 acres of land paid off by 1992 (built and purchased in 1965), owned about three vehicles on average (a full size truck, a full size car, and a small Japanese truck; he replaced them every 10 years or so), and was single income for most of it. My grandmother stopped working in 1970 to take care of my mom and later my aunt. He was blue collar as hell; worked at a paper mill and built cabinets as a side job when he took vacation from the mill.

It’s crazy how they could do that back then. I don’t even own a house yet and my fiancé is still living at home. Both of us have been working full time for over 7 years.

We are planning on getting married and buying a house once she graduates nursing school next year. With my current rate of pay and her future rate of pay we will be able to afford a house and both of our car notes plus have money to save.

It depends on what the cool and sexy kids like.

I dunno. Most of the sub 21 years olds I’ve met and had work under me were, for lack of a better word, unfocused and social media obsessed.

I got off of social media last year. And I’m way better for it. I hate that crap now.

1 Like

The leader of your party is 72 year old. Mitch McConnel is even older at 76.

1 Like

That is not true, either. Partisan affiliation is formed at the time one is of voting age and it has to do with what is happening (national and world events) at the time they turn 18. People do not get more conservative with age. That is a myth.

Since Trump is such a disaster those coming of age now will most likely be Democrats for life. And those who came of age while Obama was President (and most have a much more positive view of him, then then Conservatives/Trumplicans on this board,) that they will be Democrats for life.

I never said that people became more conservative with age. Please don’t imply that I did. I was talking about the different generations. When I was just of voting age in 1983 (early Gen X), there was a conservative tilt to the young folks in this country. Most of us stayed that way.

There is essentially no leader to my party. Trump is not the Republican leader by far. We tolerate him, but he’s not our leader. Chuck Schumer isn’t much younger than McConnell. Most of the 17 candidates for the Republican nominee were younger than the two in the dem primary. Not sure how the old pseudoRepublican got the nomination. It wasn’t by Republican voters, it was by independent crossovers.

That is exactly what you said.

Sorry, but he is your Party’s leader. There is no arguing that fact.

87% of Republicans approve of him in the lasted Gallop poll.

He is yours and you own everything he does.

You are the party of old fogeys.

Who can’t? I assure you I can, I seem to be managing paying for the oldest daughters medical school and her younger sisters college tuition ok, in addition to their rents and car insurance.

Oh please, they were 1200 sq foot houses and the cars fell apart in five years. Besides, make up your mind, are you for free trade and competing with third world unskilled labor, or not.

There’s been serious erosion of the middle class over the last 50 years. Don’t you agree?

No, unless you count moving up as erosion.

from The middle class is losing ground | Pew Research Center

In at least one sense, the shift represents economic progress: While the share of U.S. adults living in both upper- and lower-income households rose alongside the declining share in the middle from 1971 to 2015, the share in the upper-income tier grew more.

And that is while importing a million largely poor immigrants a year.

Yerright. You gave yourself away with your whining about the gubmint not subsidizing private school tuition for you.

Where did I say for me? My kids are in their twenties.