Do forum libs support this?

Reasonable. But might need some kind of emergency clause for wars, pandemics or depressions.

True. But on the other hand itā€™s just a stupid stick for one party to whack the other party with.

Thatā€™s politics. Canā€™t handle it donā€™t run for office.

1 Like

Isnā€™t the Treasury Secretary a Cabinet position that can be impeached?

Better ways to raise awareness.

Print out a brochure or something.

Noā€¦congress needs to do their job.

I understand libs want unelected bureaucrats to governed this nation.

2 Likes

Why do we need a debt ceiling? Has it ever been used to prevent adding more debt?

Iā€™d say remove it al together. It serves no purpose

I keep saying the same thing about our goverment.

3 Likes

Having a predictable partisan pissing match every year solely to ā€œspread awarenessā€ isnā€™t a job.

If you want people to be aware, organize a walk-a-thon or something

2 Likes

I heard something interesting on the tube about it. Apparently we are one of the few countries that have a debt ceiling. And I believe that they mentioned Finland has one similar to ours but theirs increases automatically each year. I believe that it should stay in Congress. But I sure wish it would go back to the good old days where it wasnā€™t the political football that it has become in recent years.

Yes, It would take politics out of the equation.

Allan

Spending is their job right? Canā€™t we hold them accountable to adding to the debt through their spending, by voting them out when w disagree with what they spent?

The debt ceiling is never NOT raised, so why have it?

2 Likes

Outside of politicians, do you really think anyone is paying attention? The debt ceiling is always raised, but in the interim lots of unnecessary anxiety.

Iā€™m a fiscal conservative, but Iā€™m also a pragmatic realist. That money has already been spent and we have to pay our bills. The time to take a stand is during the budget process, not during the debt ceiling process - when its too late.

100% agree that transferring the debt ceiling to the executive branch would be a mistake. Making it automatic or removing it altogether would allow us to pay our bills without having political posturing enter the picture.

2 Likes

When congress passes the budget it is implied the government will pay for it. Either mandate that when the budget is passed the debt ceiling is explicitly increased to meet the needs or allow the debt ceiling to be increased to match the budget. I hope people donā€™t think itā€™s OK to pass a budget but not plan on paying for it.

Agreed. And yet, when debating things like the tax cuts that added billions to the deficit, conservatives were silent.

I think I am leaning toward this.

Not that it will ever go away. but I think it should.

Without a doubt. Dems are always expected to find pay-fors for spending, but the Trump tax cuts blew a trillion dollar hole in the budget, and all Reps had to do is recite a worthless, discredited theory.

Tax cuts donā€™t ever pay for themselves.

2 Likes

Putting it into the hands of one branchā€¦ controlled by one person ā€¦ is what totalitarians do.

We have 3 branches of government for a reason: Checks and balances.

3 Likes

I guess this is why conservatives like abbot and desantis are focusing on mandates. No record to run on with anything else.

We should get rid of it altogether. The only reason we have a debt ceiling is because some in Congress at the time didnā€™t want WW1 to get too expensive and this was the compromise.

1 Like

My position is if Congress authorized something they are similarly authorizing the associated debt it incurs.