Disconnect Between White Liberals and Minority Voters

Surprise, surprise! Relatively few black & Latino voters consider themselves liberal, and movements like defunding police gain little support among them. The policies wealthy white liberals claim will help them the most are wildly unpopular among them.

4 Likes

Without a doubt Defund the Police was the stupidest slogan to emerge in response to George Floyd’s killing last year.

7 Likes

To a mod can this possibly be a thread merge with the NYC Mayoral Race thread in Politics?

1 Like

I will post this again because it is important and so often overlooked.

Did it have to do with defunding the police? Since very little substantive defunding has yet taken place, and not nearly enough to measure any long-term consequence across various cities, this also seems far too early to tell. Murder rates soared in cities that had fully funded law enforcement; they soared in cities which pledged punitive cuts in funding; and they soared where some cuts were underway. Defunding may well increase homicide rates in the future; it’s just too soon to tell right now.

What else have we got? Well, surely the timing of the surge in murders counts. And it can be timed quite precisely, in fact: to the very end of May, before which there was little change and even some decline. The National Commission on COVID-19 and Criminal Justice report shows what University of Utah researcher Paul Cassell calls a “structural break” in the data timed exactly to the murder of George Floyd and the subsequent wave of mostly peaceful protests and subsequent looting, rioting and violence that raged across many cities. Before Floyd, no big increase in homicides, aggravated assaults and shootings. After, a huge spike.

Of course, that is not causation. But it’s one hell of a correlation — and no other event seems relevant. It’s as if the Floyd murder, and the subsequent urban chaos, sent a signal: the cops are on the defensive. Which means murderers can go on the offensive. And once lawlessness establishes itself, it tends to compound. A few gang murders can soon morph into tit-for-tat urban warfare.

Gee, it’s as if they care more about their established cultures than they do about destroying them in the name of white lib ideas.

:man_shrugging:

It (defund the police) captured the root cause of liberal meltdown. It is still going on in some blue crime invested regions. Portland is in shambles and officers are leaving. Gee, a whole bunch of liberal here had unwittingly promoted it. As a minority member of the community, I believe that it (defund reality and defund the police) are an assinine ideas.

1 Like

Some liberals are going to deny supporting the One Horse Dog Faced Pony Soldier administration eventually, in retrospect.

When the going gets tough, some deny it.

Those ignorant minorities need to know their place…dumb asses don’t know what’s good for em.

Some people here did support it.

I was not one of them…in fact, early on stated it was an asinine slogan and one that would cause more harm than good.

I’m not a fan of “burn the system down” whether that impulse comes from the far left (i.e. policing philosophy) or the far right (i.e. Trumpism).

1 Like

Right? Notice how they want to remove police from high crime areas, while their own rich assed neighborhoods remain peaceful? It’s always the poor who suffer most under liberal rule. They know what’s best for the poor minorities who are claim to speak for. Arrogance on steroids.
:face_vomiting:

2 Likes

At some point minorities need to figure out that white elitist libs don’t have their best interest at heart…they only have their OWN interest.

I hate the slogan but agree with the intent. Cops aren’t needed for every 911 call. And if we can better address the reasons for high crime… then the need for more cops with subside.

Technically “Defund the Police” is absolutely what we should be doing. But the slogan is too open ended, so people are left to interpret with extremes.

And conservatives do? :rofl:

Reform the Police would have been better…albeit fraught with problems too.

The alliance between right and left following Floyd’s death was always going to be temporary as both extremes do not share a common reality.

This Conservative yes. I’m advocating minorities to stand up for their own interest…not white elitist libs interest.

Well don’t expect it any time soon. It’s been decades of liberal crap. Trump took more minorities off of welfare and put more to work than any other President in history. So what did they do? Change back of course. Voting for the moron we have now. They will not leave their liberal cult. You have much more optimism than me.

And join which party? Republicans?

If so, why?

What have Republicans offered minorities to entice them to move from Dems?

Figure it out for yourself.

SNAP participation has been falling since 2010, and not even the Trump Administration itself could provide data to back up his claim that “more blacks came off welfare than under any other President in history”.

So in some cases, Trump is taking credit for trends that started years before he became President, or else he’s making stuff up out of whole cloth.

You are simply repeating these claims with no data to back it up.

And you wonder why more people don’t join you?