Did China just blink?

I don’t think he will, but it won’t be his fault. Honestly, he is asking for the right stuff. But I doubt China will give in to it because they don’t really have to. They think in terms of centuries, not 4 year election cycles. They can just wait for the emerging markets in the pacific to eclipse the US, and start trading with them.

the TPP was a better way to get want trump wants.

Again it seems “some” here didn’t understand the concept of TPP.

TPP was a deal to flood American market with SE Asian goods while selling them (SE Asian countries) China made good. To operate as middle men.

Isolate china by strengthening trading relationships with other countries that off similar services ie: reliable, cheap manufacturing…so that american corps, in an orderly way, shift focus away from china. As this happens, let china come to us to counter the flow of trade away from China.

Deal from a real position of strength - we won’t need china because trade routes will be established with other countries.

1 Like

Um… no…

A lot of it was to open up Pacific rim countries to US agricultural products.

It was also really onerous on the protections of IP… so much so that I felt that it went way to far.

1 Like

We could have done that with individual nations.

They would have flood our markets with cheaper goods while we sell them products made in China. That was TPP in nut shell.

We are already flooding american markets with asian goods - most of them come from china.

The TPP wouldn’t have added to the flow - it would have shifted the source from China to other asian countries, isolating china and putting them in a weak position.

Trump is essentially trying to do the same thing - but he is using tarrifs to force a shift in production to other countries.

The goals are the same, the results are the same, the methods are different. The TPP was orderly and built on strengthening relationships with other countries. Trumps is fast and disruptive, using tariffs to force the issue.

2 Likes

There’s a lot of very small thinking in this thread that makes me happy, you all are the POTUS. :tumbler_glass:

Being done. How long will it take?

not at all. How would we sell then chinese made stuff? Why wouldn’t china sell them that stuff?

And Jez is correct - a cornerstone of the relationship building was america agriculture.

As did Obama.

What question did I ask?

American business would have under sold their products made in China to other Asian nations. In affect undermine American business here in the states from gaining a foothold in SE Asia.

It’s not really being done.

This augments my post to @conan

Trump is not seeking to isolate china in any long term meaningful way. He is not looking to stop US trade with china, or shift supply changes significantly. He’s only interested in negotiating a more profitable partnership.

So, particularly conan here, but other conservatives as well who dislike trading with china, Trump is really not doing you any favors. All he is trying to do is make the walmarts and home depots of the world even more profitable by trading with china.

1 Like

can you cite a source for this claim? I’ve never read anything to suggest the TPP would allow US corps to sell chinese goods to other asian nations, but I’m certainly no expert on the subject.

Of course that’s Trump objective. You have a problem with that?

Amazing how ones view of foreign policy is so totally controlled by whether one is pro or anti Trump. And disturbing.
Party before country, the old slogan went around here?

Yeah, it really is.

Not particularly, but I’ve understood your position to be one that wants to end the flooding of cheap chinese goods into eh american consumer market.

Trump is in no way serving your position.

We could have…if we wanted to be inefficient and ineffective in becoming a counterweight to China.

For a military analogy…think of how effective the Allies would have been fighting without a unified command structure or strategy…but each country fighting separately.

Would have been the same manpower and industrial advantages…would have likely been a far different outcome. We saw glimpses of that in WW I

2 Likes

Are you denying that American companies and manufactures in China isn’t selling good around the globe?

You think Jet tools are only being sold here in the states…not Europe or south America?