DEVELOPING: Sen. Grassley Refers Michael Avenatti to DOJ for ‘Criminal Investigation’

Originally published at: DEVELOPING: Sen. Grassley Refers Michael Avenatti to DOJ for ‘Criminal Investigation’ | Sean Hannity

Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley officially referred Michael Avenatti to the Department of Justice for a “criminal investigation” Thursday, saying the lawyer made “false statements” during his committee’s probe into allegations of sexual assault by Judge Brett Kavanaugh.

Grassley fired off the scathing letter to Attorney General Jeff Sessions and FBI Director Christopher Wray; claiming Avenatti should be investigated for the “materially false statements they made to” Congressional leaders.

“When a well-meaning citizen comes forward with information relevant to the committee’s work, I take it seriously. It takes courage to come forward, especially with allegations of sexual misconduct or personal trauma. I’m grateful for those who find that courage,” Grassley said in a statement. “But in the heat of partisan moments, some do try to knowingly mislead the committee. That’s unfair to my colleagues, the nominees and others providing information who are seeking the truth. It stifles our ability to work on legitimate lines of inquiry. It also wastes time and resources for destructive reasons.”

“It is ironic that Senator Grassley now is interested in investigations. He didn’t care when it came to putting a man on the SCOTUS for life. We welcome the investigation as now we can finally get to the bottom of Judge Kavanaugh’s lies and conduct. Let the truth be known,” fired-back Avenatti.

Read the full report at the Washington Examiner