Detroit city council refuses to issue a permit for car jump

Nice. 10

Democracy: the people who actually live there do not want it. I would think you of all people would champion that. Where do you live? No need to tell me, but do you want people from elsewhere to decide what happens in your community?

Your proof that the people don’t want it? Have then been demonstrating against the jump?

Haha, I thought the same thing at first when I read the thread title.

The car will still be on display. I didn’t realize a car stunt jump was protected free speech.

Not the jump that’s the issue. That they ~might~ dispaly the plate is the issue. Isn’t that first amendment?

They will be displaying the plate at the car show. The first amendment doesn’t mean you’re entitled to a special platform for your speech, in this case a car stunt jump.

Other than they said the car wouldn’t have the plate, but the snowflake council members are defly afraid it might be put on just before the jump.

There is no legal right to perform a car stunt jump. The city can say no for whatever reason it wants. This is not a free speech issue.

Sure it is.

Only reason they won’t issue the permit is because of a plate they disagree with that may or may not be on the car. Not because the plate is breaking any law, not because the jump is unsafe, but because they disagree with what someone may or may not want to display on a car.

That is pure and simple first amendment free speech.

Apparently for the last two years, they got permits to jump the General Lee under the condition they cover the hood - and lied, didn’t cover the hood and did it anyway.

So I don’t think the city council was in a mind to take them at their word.

The first amendment does not mean the government has to a provide a platform for speech. A stunt car jump is a platform.

Are people upset about something that they would never travel to Detroit to ever see isn’t happening because the city isn’t interested in seeing flying symbols racism?

Is that what is going on here?

Pretty much.

Citizens of Detroit do not give a damn about Burt Reynolds /The Bandit. They don’t want this foolishness in their city.

Did they are did they not prohibit the jump on the basis of the fact the car bears the state flag of Georgia?

The city wasn’t providing anything but a venue and chose to deny it because of the flag.

Ah, there is more to the story. Not surprising. Apparently conservatives here are “fool me twice, please keep fooling me”

“I am going to spend brain power on being slightly outraged by something that effects my life zero. “

This is boiler plate culture war stuff.

Confederate flag is being oppressed. To the bat mobile Robin. We must save the day.