Denmark's free college has created "eternity students" who never graduate

I wonder who those in favor of keeping kids as covered dependents on parent policies until they’re 26 think is going to cover these dependents when they’re 27 if they’re not motivated to accept group health policies, or are un/underemployed.

Or when they become America’s favorite new relation, where’s the Hallmark card for them?—baby Mommy and baby Daddy.

Really. I deal with men in their 40s who father kids outside wedlock.

But they & their wives are professional men & women who don’t abandon their parenting responsibilities & aren’t looking to get the babies on Medicaid.

26 year old pregnant women on dad’s policy and not marrying is getting to be common. Does anyone seriously think baby daddy is going to marry & put them on his plan, and if so, why didn’t he pop the question the minute the stick turned pink?

Barring grandparents taking custody & getting health benefits for them as a dependent, who do you think in the absence of marriage will be on the hook for baby’s care?

HELLO TAXPAYERS!

I’m familiar with that, my sister used to talk about it regarding some of the people she knew. The term she used was perpetual student; same thing. If some one is using their money on perpetually going to school or getting a useless degree, more power to them. The point of the OP is that should not be a cost on the taxpayers.

1 Like

That’s Denmark’s fault for not taking human nature into account. They should have created windows of no more than 6 years to obtain Bachelor’s or equivalent. Paying only 50% for worthless liberal arts degrees would also help.

1 Like

Here are degrees programs available in Denmark:

https://www.bachelorsportal.com/countries/6/denmark.html

Which of these are “worthless liberal arts degrees”?

Truth be told I think the Danish have some good ideas regarding higher education. Non Danish or EU students can experience life in another country & still pay less tuition than in the States.

Many if not most of the classes are conducted in English, and, as in the above link, it appears class learning isn’t just lecturing, but includes more student/teacher as well as interaction with various industry professionals.

Why throw the baby out with the bath water? It appears all that is needed is a limit—much like the G I Bill in the States has—to earn a degree at taxpayer expense.

I mean, if someone is already wealthy or supported by their parents they can take what they like. Perhaps these are all highly paid in Denmark, but over here, unless I had a lot of financial support I wouldn’t waste my time with these categories I found at your link:

Social Sciences
Journalism and Media
Humanities

1 Like

I have a Theater degree and I make six figures.

Do I have a worthless degree?

2 Likes

Nope, in today’s world virtually every degree has value, because many companies require one and don’t always care what it’s in. They only care that it proves you can get something done.

There are always exceptions. A lot of pro athletes have Communications degrees and make 7 or 8 figures. I know a couple of recent graduates with Theater degrees. One works for Best Buy and the other works for a local coffee shop.

Ridiculous

Recent graduates is a different thing.

My first job out of college paid me a princely $275 a week and I didn’t enter the job market during a recession

Hey, kudos to you; you’re obviously an exception. I just see so many kids electing to major in stuff like “Pop Culture” and “Social Justice” while accruing $60-150K in student loan debt with a worthless piece of paper at graduation. I’m not sure about the specific majors in Denmark but I imagine they are similar.
A good friend has 2 sons who graduated with English degrees 4 and 5 years ago. One works at an IT helpdesk making about $13 an hour, and the other works at a furniture store.
They could have had those jobs without even going to college. Too many graduate every year with liberal arts degrees and that’s why most of them cannot find work in their field of study, or get paid dirt when they do. No demand.
There’s a reason STEM graduates make a decent income right out of college.

1 Like

Humanities in Denmark is a grand total of one program.

I graduated a liberal arts college in 1990, & many of my classmates made it in sales as varied as teaching, pharmaceuticals & legal & paralegal work.

Here’s more conservative Hillsdale College’s pre med program. Note it doesn’t require a scientific or technical major:

Any degree can be useful or not depending on whether or not the student made career plans before the educational commitment.

How many… just how many do you really see?

I will say why I am pressing on this. I see this dismissal of higher education as being worthless in a lot of cases and an impression that there are tons of degrees that are being pursued that have no value. I see this diminishment as a way to simply dismiss that there is an entire generation who is kinda getting ■■■■■■ by the system.

That’s all.

Nope.

At this rate, many 25+ year old adult offspring will be the equivalent of this guy:

Many aren’t marrying or moving out of the nest or even paying expenses or picking their own work issued health plans.

They’re more like legally grown children.

2 Likes

I think the biggest example of them getting ■■■■■■ by the system is getting pressured to go to college and accrue several thousands in debt for a liberal arts degree. I personally know of 1 each with Pop Culture and Social Justice degrees, 2 with English, and 2 with Theater degrees. My experience is anecdotal, but surely I’m not the only one.
Check the link for the top-paying jobs out of college. Until you get to #31 (Foreign Affairs) they are all STEM professions, including the rest of the top 75. There’s absolutely no disputing that STEM trades are more valuable than liberal arts.
If one is independently-wealthy, plans to live at home with the parents after graduation, or doesn’t necessarily care about finding a career in their major, liberal arts degrees are fine. To each his or her own. I just wouldn’t want to rack up a lot of debt to get one of those degrees. I definitely wouldn’t want the taxpayers to foot the bill.
https://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report/majors-that-pay-you-back/bachelors

Exactly!

Ridiculous.

Even with all of that… college has gotten way more expensive then when I went to school.

Even State schools are expensive. State spending on higher education started to get cut in the 90’s and accelerated after the 2008 financial collapse.

■■■■ remember when conservatives used to defend the classic liberal university education? That wasn’t even that long ago.