Dems to request Trump tax Returns

Congress can pull every tax return all the way back to the first return he ever filed… There is NOTHING in the law preventing them… Go do a little research on how many times that law has been used by the committee to pull tax returns of corporations, etc.

Go for it!

I predict a Red Tide in 2020. :wink:

I guess that’s the appropriate position to take… You have lost the argument on the law…

Oh well, the law also says that is for committee use only. I can’t imagine why the committee would find anything the IRS doesn’t already know about, or Meuller for that matter.

from https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2017-09-18/robert-mueller-likely-has-donald-trumps-tax-returns

In fact, it seems almost certain the FBI–special counsel investigation has its hands on the president’s tax returns.

So, what’s the point?

Well, since you refuse to acknowledge the underlying purpose of the law, I have conceded to your stubbornness and moved on. When the subpoena is issued, we will find out who is right and who is wrong. Until then, all we have to offer is opinion.

There will be no subpoena issued…The request comes directly from the committee to the Secretary… There is no court involved…

What is the purpose of the committee request? What issue are they convening to resolve? They must have a specific reason to request that the Secretary hand over private tax returns.

Won’t there? What happens when Trump directs the head of the IRS to refuse the request?

The law does not require any specific reason… none…

You think Trump will order the head of the IRS to break the law for him?

And if the IRS says no?

No, the committee has no need to issue a subpoena for the returns… If the IRS refuses to turn over the documents, the committee will file a lawsuit in federal court and the administration will lose immediately…

I would imagine he might just contend that its legal to deny the request instead.

Likely the law will be contested on a separations of powers question, IF Trump doesn’t allow them just to hand it over, which he may well.

Well, he can “contend” whatever he wants, but the law is clear.

He should just hand them over, who cares, Meuller and the IRS already have them, if there is something illegal in them that cat is already out of the bag.

1 Like

Are you sure Mueller has them? I haven’t read about that.

It’s rich watching a bunch of Benghazi cheerleaders cry about house over reach. You reap what you sow, and support a corrupt crook. you can thank the democrats when they uncover the criminal behavior of the president.

Mueller having them is debatable, as for the IRS having them…is that a joke? Of course the IRS has his returns, otherwise he would be guilty of not filing taxes…

Sure no, but it’s fairly widely reported that he probably does.