Dem Debate Tonight

So Bernie and Biden will square off at 8 Eastern on CNN. Not sure if Gabbard is in…

You can watch on CNN or if you dont have cable on their website for free I think. Or tunein radio usually plays CNN live.

I’m actually looking forward to a no crowd debate and a big duscussion on health care policy. This will be the first debate with only 2-3 people

Me too. Hopefully it goes well enough that both parties stick to this. The cartoonification of our elections the past 20 years is tiring.

2 Likes

Less candidates, no crowd, just a debate. Looking forward to it.

2 Likes

Ya. I would like to see a round table sometime too, where the moderator for the most part sits put, and just let the candidates talk to eachother

The attempts at shoe horning in a couple dozen candidates into a “debate” when everyone just throws out sound bites and gets talked over by each other and the moderators has to change.

2 Likes

Im looking forward to a no crowd debate as well.

1-on-1 Tournament, Oxford style debates that touch on 3 topics each where candidates differ. Can have a losers bracket as well, so everyone gets 2 cracks at it minimum.

Boom, problem solved. What’s next!?!

BTW, “Intelligence Squared” is a great podcast that showcases the format.

They need to turn off all the microphones except for the speaker and give them sixty seconds at a clip and shut the speaker’s mic off at that point, maybe give them a ten second bell to finish up.

No Gabbard. Just Sanders and Biden.

1 Like

Joe’s practicing hard right now…bet on it but…Bernie will eat him alive. :sunglasses:

1 Like

6 Likes

Now that’s funny, funny, funny… :rofl:

1 Like

I…CAN’T…STOP…LAUGHING!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Lemme help bring you back to Earf then.

My apologies. lol

3 Likes

I’ll bet Joe touches more subjects than that? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

That’s the part I hate though. Forces soundbytes.

I understand the motivation behind your comment but that highlights one of the things that is inherently wrong with the "debates’. It is virtually impossible to be able to provide a comprehensive answer to any complex issue with the current format. What you get are soundbites and slogans and no substantive discussion/debate.

What would be a better format and in some ways borrows from your suggestion would be to have a certain number of topics that the two candidates could actually discuss. Maybe have each candidate give an opening address of 2 minutes and then two alternate 5 minute periods where each candidate articulates their agenda on the topic and end each period where each candidate gets the opportunity to ask the other a question where the candidate has up to 2 minutes to answer. For the next topic, the candidates swap positions etc.

And before it starts the two candidates are told they any diverging from the topic will result in a first warning from the moderator. Any further infractions the candidate will lose the remaining portion of their time.

It could be longer, I just pulled that number out of thin air. They sure can’t be allowed to ramble on without end.

I’m cool with all of that.

6 Likes