Deepfakes: The next challenge

Deepfakes- machine-learning-created videos of people saying things they’ve never said- are going to be this election’s sources of “fake news”.

The government is working on programs to detect and warn about deepfakes. It is not a joke- it’s a serious problem.

Deepfakes take our tendency to believe first and search only for confirming evidence of our beliefs to a new level. Now people can be made to look like they’re saying things they’ve never said and it looks even more real.

Don’t believe me? How many of you fell for the slurred Pelosi video? 2.5 million have viewed it.

And this one was low tech.

I hope the dangers of this ought to be apparent to anyone.

If it’s not effecting or changing vote counts – it’s all good. Foreign source? No problem. Domestic source? Free speech.

3 Likes

:point_up_2:

Yep, this nails it pretty good.

what if the deepfakes show them kneeling during the anthem?

No worse than media distorted and amplified fakery, ie. “good people on both sides” nonsense.

We already live in a world where people believe what they want to believe and ignore evidence to the contrary, so I’m not sure what this will change.

1 Like

The winner…in in five posts.

1 Like

It will reel on bigger numbers of people, and make other people who are trying real hard to rely on facts and data to give up because it’s just so hard to do.

beat the spread. but i guess in the word of a certain poster:
“it does not matter if it is true, as long as it sounds true”

3 Likes

Don’t even get me started on media promoted collusion conspiracies.

very true, look at how fast and cemented the “you didnt build that” comment got taken out of context, or how widespread the distortion occurred with the 57 states and all of that was before this tech. As long as a deepfake survives the initial viral stages then whatever message they were created for is going to be deep baked into whatever sides believes.

He did say that.

Does anyone here doubt that at some point in the next year and a half Trump is going to retweet a completely made up video that he saw and his followers will believe it forever even after he removes it from the official presidential statements(his twitter)?

and here was have, like moth to the flame, 2 perfect example of what i was talking about.

thanks fellas! you sure make it easy

Are you denying Obama said “you didn’t build that.”?

you mean like when he retweeted the peolosi video?
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1131728912835383300

what did i say?

Not much, hence the question.

Here’s Obama’s full quote for the ignorants.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

4 Likes