Dealing with depression, mental illness, and the sadder aspects of life

You have to titrate your dosage down when removing yourself from these medications. These are serotonin uptake inhibitors. The hypothesis used to be that depression was caused in large part by serotonin not being able to fit into the receptors to fire the proper chemicals. (think trying to fit a round peg into a square hole). When you remove yourself too quickly think of it like slamming a door in your face. Paxil has a short half-life in comparison to other anti-depressants, so the effects of withdrawal will come sooner and harder than with Zoloft or Prozac which have a much longer half-life.

I’m surprised they put you on Prozac with panic attacks. That is more people with depression who are lethargic and sleep a lot. Whereas Zoloft and Paxil are for people with difficulty sleeping and anxiety.

Thanks. I’ve heard horror stories of people going off Paxil. I’m probably on it for life now. I did have the doc lower the dosage though from 40 to 30.

To be honest, my husband is probably on Paxil for life, too. When he was younger, he had really extreme anxiety attacks, and was quick to anger with terrible rages. He would say hurtful things and get violent with objects (not toward me). Paxil has been a lifesaver. I can honestly say we would not still be married if it weren’t for Paxil, because of the rages.

About every 5 years, he tries tapering off, but the problems come back. Maybe one day he’ll taper off and be fine. Until then it is like insulin to a diabetic and there is no shame in taking it. He is a great husband and father and person, and he gets to keep that with the medication.

That’s so good. I’m sure it helps a lot of people but I neede benzos - the only thing that helped me. Well, besides an indica weed.

Better no friends than being in bad company.

I’ve actually started to enjoy my own company when I’m not at work or around my small family. My cat is my unconditional friend who has even sat up with me when I was at my worst with migraine, and we’re here for you.

Reading is good to feel part of something, relate to others. Do you like watching movies? I’m thinking with two weeks vacation the end of next month of just grabbing a bunch of movie munchies & sitting down with old Ray Liotta flicks with him in sinister roles.:scream:

2 Likes

Good points!

So sorry you are plagued with migraines. I had them for years and know the pain.

I have always been my own best company.

:hugs:

P.S.
Cats rule!

2 Likes

As I get older, I really am happiest with my small family and my dogs. I love gardening, reading, cooking, eating, hiking, arguing with the goofballs here on this forum

I hope you can find a peaceful life, unfettered by other people’s issues.

Speaking of Liotta, did you ever see the movie he did with John Cusack, I think it’s called ‘Identity’? I love that movie.

1 Like

I’ve got ‘Identity’ on the list, as well as the one where he plays a detective whose former flames are getting killed one by one.

He was good in ‘Corina Corina’, but he’s at his best in roles like stalker cop Pete Davis in ‘Unlawful Entry’.:scream:

Have you tried Divalproex as a preventive? It’s primary use is as an anticonvulsant drug, and side effects can be increased appetite and weight gain, but it is pretty effective as a preventive.

And yes, while I still love dogs, cats rule!:cat:

I love him in Identity because you spend the whole movie trying to figure out if he is a good guy or a psychopathic killer. One moment you’re convinced he’s a good guy, with one whisper of a movement, and you think he’s a psycho. So good.

1 Like

I’ve felt more myself lately, I think. But that seems to be leading to a different set of problems. I don’t like being in my right mind. Not having had a drink in almost five years has been easy because I haven’t wanted a drink. Now, I kind of do want a drink. I want to do anything that will stop me from being level. Get drunk, get high, take so many sleeping pills I start hallucinating again. Doesn’t matter. I just want anything that removes me from reality for a while.

Everything is harder when the meds seem to be working. I’m bored, restless, lacking identity or purpose. Going through the motions and getting nothing for it. I don’t know, I’m rambling. But if improving mental health causes so much trouble for me, maybe I’m better off crazy.

1 Like

A good friend of mine who has been sober for 15 years said one of the hardest parts of not being high was having to deal with the banality of life. You have to actually CREATE a life worth living. Plus therapy.

2 Likes

That’s sound advice. But here’s where I come off as run-of-the-mill and pathetic, because I had no idea it would be this difficult.

That doesn’t make you pathetic. It just makes you unaware. As human beings, we don’t want to deal with feelings we don’t like.

1 Like

Hi everyone. I’m taking a break from politics. Peace.

3 Likes

Interesting. I retired from the Army 5 years ago, moved to Virginia and opened a bar with my fiance. Those were too many hours and we sold the bar. I did daily fantasy sports as a hobby and turned it and sports gambling into a job, gradually started betting more and more money. Three years later, it seems as though I’ve found something I’m good at. I do my research in the morning, hit the gym in the early afternoon and then finalize my line ups and bets when I get home.

Problem? The stress of making a living as a professional gambler has turned me from someone who likes to drink into a full on alcoholic. We’re moving back to Texas in 2 weeks and I’m thinking about getting a personal trainer certificate, and having the gambling be a hobby again. This would probably give me a better chance to get the booze back under control.

1 Like

I hear ya, friend. Take care of yourself. Sometimes people are rude to you here, don’t take it personally. You’re a welcome and valued part of this disjointed Hannity family, no matter which sub-forum you’re posting in at any particular time.

Cyber hugs!

2 Likes

best of luck to you, my friend. I have the utmost admiration for people who can overcome that demon.

I don’t drink anymore except for the occasional celebration. I like it too much. I like to do it with the same gusto that I do with everything else that is fun.

I have arranged my life such that I am happy without it. But I know for a fact that it would be super easy to slide into overuse. Super easy. I could do it and still function such that no one would know. But I choose not to go there.

Take care. I hope things work out well for you in the coming months. Hugs and well wishes.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m looking forward to moving back to Texas, going to school to get my certification and working a regular job. I’ve made a lot of money in the last 3 years, but its certainly taken its toll.