Dealing with depression, mental illness, and the sadder aspects of life

Good luck. Not drinking is pretty easy. Not drinking and having a semblance of serenity or contentment is not.

I drank for effect. I used to think I got ■■■■■■■■■ on a daily basis because I really liked alcohol. Which I did. The bigger reality is that I just couldn’t stand being sober.

I usually find what you’re going through to be temporary. It gets better for me if I do the things that got me sober and especially if I focus on being of service to others. My head is a dangerous place to be alone in.

Mylar drink was almost 10 years ago. Good luck. You’re not alone.

1 Like

Posters have gone to family members, plus your ultimate family member, your wife, because they didn’t agree with you? That’s pretty good grief, I don’t know if pathetic is the correct term, but sounds like they either need to get lives of their own–since they have so much time on their hands–or have me buy them one. Am near both Walmart & Target.

As for FB, I don’t blame you for canceling your account. I’m still on for gaming, but certain apps, is it? where I participated on various debates I had to Unlike. Posters would actually cuss me out & personalize me over a difference in opinion, and I’m not on this earth to be treated like that.

Is there something you like besides gambling for a hobby? Gambling can get to be a costly addiction.

I wish you luck in your move back to Texas, and being a personal trainer is a great way to help others.

Hi! I was just hoping you’re still posting. If you’re interested, as far as your posts from a few weeks ago about the loss of a friend, there are psychology videos on You Tube I wish I’d had about 10 years ago.

Search for titles like “10 Things Toxic People Do” or “characteristics of toxic friends”. They’ll help you better understand why such a friendship is no good for you, and, by comparison, what makes a true friend.

2 Likes

Yeah, some of those people who could not handle me disagreeing with them would get all nasty & personal with me, then they would go whine to my wife.

It was amazing.

Truly amazing.

I treat gambling like a business. I initially “invested” $100K into 5 different gambling sites, 4 daily fantasy and 1 straight gambling, as most people invest into a business. I gradually grew that amount to $250K that I have in there now. When my total is above $250K, I withdraw and put that money (profit) into my personal accounts. When it dips below, I do not use my personal accounts to make up the difference. I play my way out.
I know gambling can become an addiction to many but to me its a business. It used to be fun when it was a hobby, but it’s not nearly the fun I thought it would be when I made it my business. Its been very lucrative, I have $600K in my investment account, I just bought a $185K house with cash and I drive a Porsche. I have enough money, so I really need to address what living this way has done to me personally.
Hopefully, becoming a personal trainer (working out and lifting weights is my other passion) will allow me to do that.

It truly is sad. They looked like such a lovely couple in recent photos. Ah, sometimes looks are deceiving, at the surface.

Doing some background on this, seems her suicide was a long time in the making, from early onset in her life of debilitating migrain headaches to an opiate addiction as a result of treating that and other pain.

So sad.

My heartfelt condolences to the Marshall family.

2 Likes

This little filly is one chatty Cathy. Just in case if you need some cuteness in your day.

3 Likes

Well, I didn’t buy a twelve pack of Steele Reserve today, or a cheap bottle of vodka. Not for lack of desire, or even lack of looking. I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. So I guess that’s a win. But god help me, I hate feeling so even. Something drastic needs to change, and soon.

OCD
About a month ago I was in bed going to sleep and for some reason I thought of an old boss of mine from 20 years ago. I could see his face but I couldn’t remember his name. I bothered the heck out of me. I usually have a very good memory.
I lay awake most of the night trying to remember that name.
The next day I did a bunch of people searches until I contacted someone who worked there with me. They told me the name. I felt a tremendous sense of relief.

From then on I’m constantly trying to remember some name. It might be from 50 years ago. It sticks in my mind and I go around constantly thinking about it. My heart is pumping- almost a panic attack. I have no need to know the name, it’s like a puzzle my mind feels I have to solve.

I went to a psychologist who said she thought it was the side effect of some kind of medication I was or had been taking. I had a battle with insomnia a few months ago and was prescribed some pretty rough stuff. I haven’t taken any of it in over a month.

It seems to be getting better. I hope to heck it goes away.

In the news today, rocker Tina Turner’s almost 60 year old son, Craig, ended his life by gunshot in his Studio City, California apartment.

My heart goes out to Tina.:cry:

2 Likes

Could be the medication.

Could be, hmm, don’t know how else to put this, getting old.

I try to remember last names of people I worked with in the 90’s, just to look 'em up, see how they’re doing, but can’t remember.

It’s not that I can’t remember some of those old names, it’s the panic attack that comes when I can’t.

I’m sorry panic attacks are taking place. That’s got to be terrifying.

So Sweet!!!

1 Like

I have always been terrible with remembering names, even with those of important people in my life.

So many other things I can remember in great detail, trivial things, names, no.

That and math functions or formulas.

You and others here are always in my prayers!

I lost my little red-turned-gray dachshund this morning. I had to take him to the vet to help him along, wish I hadn’t had to do that, but it is what it is.

We adopted him in February 2007, he was a couple years old at the time. He had lived a life of chaos and instability, but when he came home with us, he lived the rest of his life with love, warmth, fun, companionship, stability, and lots of yummy food.

So sad. I miss my little buddy. He was such a good boy.