Cultural Appropriation

I have news for you…the smallpox vaccine wasn’t invented by a white person…at least…not the concept.

The concept was invented in Africa.

It’s been a long time since I’ve read up on Halloween. But yeah, from what I remember, early Christians would dress up with various religious imagery for various reasons. Saints and generic evil costumes as wards.

When it comes to appropriation, Its why Halloween is a tough one. Where does one cross the line from appreciation, to appropriation. When does it become offensive?

1 Like

I do think there is a line that veers from appreciation to something a bit more nefarious.

White kids listening to hip hop and dressing in line with that sub culture… no issues. Even white rappers have gone mainstream and done very well.

I think paying homage is key. “Culture Appropriation” is taking a key element of a certain culture and calling it your own. Elvis comes to mind.

I agree that most complaints of “cultural appropriation”, as seen on the internet, are nonsense.

But the key, for me at least, is in the intent. Appreciating other cultures is great - but appreciating a culture requires learning about that culture, and understanding what it means.

thank you. i strive to make sure all my posts are

woops on you!. i didnt mention a single thing about what is a “very strong” image to me or what i find “reverential”. notice carefully how quickly you rushed to make this all about my beliefs. we can talk about that if you want. but i didnt bring it up. so odd that it would become so central to your argument so quickly dont you think?

not other than it represents the typical way they dress and celebrate their culture

mkay. embrace whatever you find humorous not sure anyone cares though

who said there’s anything wrong with it?.

The concept of cultural appropriate is extremely dumb and counterproductive - i.e. can lead to racism and segregation (only people who share same color of skin/nationality can share in whatever it is that one of them once invented)

But why is this thread in tin foil alley ?

I am trying to make an analogy with your beliefs. If you disagree with my statement, please let me know how I erred.

It does not represent “the typical way they dress”. That’s my point.

A War Bonnet is sacred. Only those who have earned it wear it. Each feather must individually be earned, through acts of bravery, courage and selflessness. It has a very strong meaning to members of plains tribes - as strong a meaning as The Passion holds for Christians.

This is true. But there is a lot of nonsense online when it comes to calling out cultural appropriation.

From how people wear their hair, how they dress, to even what kind of food they are allowed to cook.

Too much noise online, kids taking it too far, and it muddies the water when it comes to discussing the nefarious side of things.

what do my religious beliefs have to do with any of this? i didnt bring them up or make them part of this discussion. why do you do this? isnt there enough about the topic to address on its own without resorting to an anonymous poster’s beliefs about this or that?

oh ok well you made absolutely no attempt to make that point. Regardless (“irregardless” to you probably) it’s your opinion. nothing more. remember - you can just say you disagree : ) I’m kool with that (“cool” to you, probably)

I really don’t buy the notion of cultural appropriation.

Exactly.

A white dude cooking and sharing ramen recipes online, is not cultural appropriation.

He is trying to make it relatable. Comparing one sacred way to another.

The Japanese people have a superiority complex. Their culture is the best in the world, the best that has ever existed and ever will exist.

Trust me, I love Japanese culture and the Japanese people. I consume a ton of their media and their history is absolutely fascinating.

But they have a superiority complex. It’s a key component of Japanese culture and history.

I know it’s a book about a video game company, but you should give “Console Wars” a read. It follows Tom Kalinske (famous for revitalizing the Barbie brand at Mattel) and his rise and fall as Sega of America’s CEO in the early 1990s. He had to deal with his Japanese superiors on an almost daily basis and he goes into a lot of details (the book isn’t a biography, but he provided the material for the author and did hundreds of interviews, so it’s mostly told from his point of view) about what it was like to deal with them. And it honestly wasn’t pretty most of the time.

2 Likes

I am attempting to analogize your religious beliefs to their religious and spiritual beliefs.

I think I did. That’s what all of this is about - why I analogized it to your religious beliefs.

“relatable” does not have to be uniquely “personal”

and i might add you don’t know what i find “sacred”

my my…just imagine if someone made such an assumption about a leftist…

It kinda does.

Again, if I erred I am sorry, and am happy to be corrected. Do you not find The Passion sacred?

i believe you. they are an admirable culture

i agree. no culture is without its flaws. but enough about sensible perspectives about humanity vs leftist maniacalism.

i will now. sounds interesting. and reasoned

please. no need to apologize. just stick to the topic not me. i’m simply not that interesting despite my amazing selfie avatar.

not to be redundant…

but you know nothing about my religious/spiritual beliefs.

still strikes me that this would come up in this discussion