Crits Gotta Crit Amazing - 1984 Puts On A Skirt

Doesn’t matter. The Orwell estate needs money.

Capitalism!!!

1 Like

Being derivative is 100% part of art.

Even the great bard Shakespeare was derivative in the plays that he wrote.

The only people who care about stuff like this are Karens.

Karinism is a national threat.

1 Like

It’s cute the way people in this forum imagine others are “outraged” about some issue just because they have an opinion.

1 Like

God that’s stupid.

James Bond is James Bond. He can’t be non-binary. He can’t be a male feminist. He can’t be trans or whatever else they want to drag into it.

Bond as a character is one of the ultimate fictional expressions of masculinity. He’s determined, loyal to both his comrades and his nation, focused on his job, popular with the ladies, and lethal on mission.

In Goldeneye, M (Judi Dench) called him a relic of the Cold War in one of her opening lines. To me that’s not an insult. He’s one of those idealized figures in classic media. Not many can measure up to his portrayal, but it’s aspirational. What man doesn’t want to be that popular with the ladies and go around the world as a lethal spy defending queen and country?

Don’t get me wrong, I do like the Dalton and Craig films for exploring Bond’s emotional stability and giving us glimpses into his psyche and how he copes with it all. And I like the Craig eras depiction of Bond actually being in love with one particular woman more so than his womanizing past and that he will do everything necessary to protect her, as a man should in the real world should do.

But there’s a limit to that depiction. Does Bond fit the current woke ass current reality of the world? No he doesn’t. But a character like Bond still has a place in this society despite all the woke ■■■■■■■■■

In case anyone hasn’t noticed, I’m a huge Bond fan. But I’m a little worried about where they may attempt to take the franchise. I was real concerned about No Time to Die after the first trailer but I’ll say that the movie surprised me. The wokeness was kept to a minimum and they were fair to the Bond character. He was a little overly emotional during the film, which isn’t really a Bond characteristic, but considering one the films key plot points (which I won’t spoil) it makes sense.

1 Like

I know. I know.

If we all would vote for Republicans books that we don’t think should be published won’t be published and we would get Aunt Jemima back.

It would be utopia

James Bland: the Woke James Bond

A related observation:

What Woke does to funny … “Bring out your jokes!” klang “Bring out your jokes!” klang

So after the late Roger Moore era where is was campy to almost being Adam West Batman you are concerned with where the franchise is going?

Hey…. How about that time where Pierce Brosnan surfed a Tsunami wave?

And the concern is that the franchise might be woke?

C’mon!!!

Between Star Wars, aliens, Indiana Jones, game of thrones, whatever thing I liked….

I have no expectations anything will be good. I will take a non-binary Bond as a starting point over whatever the next Terminator movie is.

I do think the more anyone posts the same opinion over and over on a particular topic - such as “crits” and what it’s doing to our society - it suggests upset feelings, at a minimum, and probably much more.

1 Like

Trust me I’m not happy with how a lot of the movies turned out.

I’m actually pretty picky when it comes to Bond films.

But when they get it right, they get it right. License to Kill for example.

Nothing to do with my criticism. I just appreciate authors wh write their own books.

1 Like

“Tree equity” :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::+1:t4:

Despite Fox’s efforts to tart this up, it’s hardly new or sensational. Sandra Newman’s doing what lots of writers have done over the years. Or is it different somehow?

• Joyce Carol Oates’s The Lady with the Pet Dog retells Chekhov’s story of the same name from the female character’s perspective.

• John Gardner’s Grendel retells Beowulf from Grendel’s point of view.

Hey, read this?

• Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead retells Hamlet from the POV of different characters.

• The Wide Sargasso Sea revises the back story of Jane Eyre.

• Marion Bradley’s Mists of Avalon retells Arthurian legends from the perspective of female characters.

Ever heard of this incredibly successful musical?image|396x500

Definitely avoid this one:

3 Likes

Meh. I would imagine that women have some different concerns under a totalitarianism. I’ll give it a read.

Well that post should just about do it for this thread…But it won’t.:roll_eyes:

Not sure what “crits” are.
Perhaps a person would be discussing because that is what a discussion forum is for.

1 Like

Crit and woke is just a passing fancy with cons right now.

It will go out of favor and onto the next outrage in the country.

Allan

Food and fuel shortages would do that.

That’s a lot of unoriginality.

1 Like