Crazy Case of Police Abuse

From the link:

“Brookside is a poster child for policing for profit,” said Carla Crowder, the director of Alabama Appleseed Center for Law & Justice, a nonprofit devoted to justice and equity. “We are not safer because of it.”

They need to fire/replace the mayor and police chief ASAP!

1 Like

Maybe they like it.

I have a feeling the townies don’t get many tickets and enjoy the revenue.

Probably they are more concerned that the scam had poor PR management and has drawn attention.

“Hey, back off until the publicity cools down, then business as usual”

1 Like

It was almost all “townies” getting the tickets where i used to live.

Why would they do that? They get their city expenses paid for by out of towners. Police power and local judiciary are properly derived from the state. The state is where this should be handled.

Well in this case is that not abuse? Abuse of power? It’s no different whether they’re trapping people for revenues or for political power, it’s still abuse of power IMO.

You didn’t detail a specific case, but I did assume you are talking about a abuse. The point isn’t that it’s not abuse. The point is that my response to a thread on that abuse would be to criticize it directly and specifically rather than say:

“It’s no different than police using their power to abuse motorists”

At best that is an irrelevant response, but more than likely will be read as justifying the abuse that is the topic.

You need to match the axe to the grinding station so to speak.

Sounds like Ferguson Illinois. Somehow I bet it’s a dem town also…

This was what I was going to contribute. You beat me to it.

I recall a story (or legend?) of a guy who got stopped in a Georgia town like this. Cop asked if the driver knew how fast he was going. Guy replied, “Probably not as fast as General Sherman passed through here…” And he ended up spending a weekend in jail before getting bailed out.

3 Likes

gimme an “R”!, gimme an “E”!,… ,Goooooo Team!

When you’re getting hit with axe, how sharp it is is irrelevant. You’re still got hit with axe.

And if you are getting attacked by many axes I would advise defending against the one about to hit you rather than the one that got to you earlier and then left.

Now you’re just justifying governmental abuse to suit your needs.

That’s ridiculous. I’ve justified nothing. I simply rejected the value of your comparisons.

This topic brought up a specific case of police abuse and you did not criticize or address it, but rather compared it to some unrelated abuse that bothers you.

All the comparison does is move the focus to your unrelated political axe grinding and bypass criticizing abuse at hand.

To that end it is a simply a change in subject and adds no value to this thread in my opinion.

It’s as if someone contributed to a discussion on which football team is the greatest by saying “golf sucks”.

1 Like

Seems to me that the police abuse that started this thread equally bothers him. It’s why he made the comparison. “Not much different…”

I agree that introducing the comparison generated a rathole that consumed half the thread from that point on, but it’s a comparison that spotlights egregious abuse of authority in each case.

I saw more of shifting the spotlight than focusing it. There is very little in common between these abuses and the presentation seemed designed to bring in R/D partisanship rather than say anything at all about the Brookside police.

There are all kinds of abuse of authority, but I don’t think I’d be adding much to the thread by bringing up how China abuses it citizens, even though it also bothers me.

A lot of discussion here decays into tribal mudslinging and I oppose driving this topic there needlessly.

But It’s a free forum and I’ll drop the issue.

some cops are ■■■■■■■■■ what can ya do

1 Like

Sounds more like a myth to me. There weren’t enough yankees coming through those small towns to pay for the sodas the towns police would drink in a years time i dare say.

Have you ever even been to the South?

I’ve been here my whole 68 years.

Small towns ticket folks regardless of who they catch most of whom are town residents.

Problem here is that these cops are not necessarily ■■■■■■■■■ They are doing the job they were hired and directed to do… fleece motorists for city revenue.

The problem is the chief and whichever city leaders directed him to design a force to operate this way.

This is a top down abuse, not rotting eggs at the bottom.

Allegedly.

What can happen in these cases is for control to be taken away from city leaders with policies supervised through convent decree or other mechanism. This case is getting a lot of press so I would not be surprised to see the state or DOJ opening a case on this.

The police is working in tantrum with local government,no ■■■■■■■ different then using CoJ and FBI doing the work of authoritarian government.

I understand you need to differentiate police using speed traps and libs using IRS, CoJ, FBI, CIA, NSA, ATF and homeland security to go after your political enemies. In fact I would say using those agencies against follow Americans is far worst then this article that was posted in OP.

Only reason libs are upset with this story is because it also targets them…they aren’t exempt. And that what pisses them off.

2 Likes